Winn-Dixie

Winn-Dixie Employee Reviews

Showing all 7,877 reviews

It's a good job for high-schoolers and college students, but other than that it's not worth having as a full-time job unless they pay you well.

The overall company is decent to work for. Pay isn't great. When I first started, minimum wage was $7.25. I had to beg for a raise even after being promoted. I left for a year and when I came back the minimum wage was $10. It also depends on the store you work at. It's trial and error.

Pros

Sometimes fun, Make friends, Chat with new people

Cons

Short breaks, benefits only past 30+ hours (if part-time), hard to get hired as full-time, Customers.

Terrible workplace

It’s pretty apparent like after the first week that the managers really don’t care about their employees, I’ve gone in multiple times without my manager even realizing I was there until my shift was almost over. They also pay people unfairly, I have two coworkers who work the same job as me and got started off on a higher pay when they have, the same experience, they are the same age as me, and they do the same work that I do. Terrible place to work and I wouldn’t recommend anyone working here.

Easy job but bad pay

I’ve been there off and on 15 years. And only made acouple $ more than when I started originally!! The job itself is easy. The Point of Sale system is a breeze. Mostly a high schooler job .

Interesting, challenging, cudtomer oriented, met great co-workers

I worked there for 15 years and most were good times. I overall had a great experience. Met great co-workers. A lot of challenges and different positions and store to move from. Management style varies truly from store to store. Hr department needs alot of room for improvement; dont truly strike me as they care for the actual associates well being.

Very poor management

There's alot I could say about this place but I'll keep it short. They do not care about their employees, especially if you are special needs, and will refuse to give you the adjustments you need in order to succeed. I was told I could clearly not do my job because of my absences from my health issues, but they wouldn't schedule me in my availability, as well as when I did work I was told I did a great job and was one of the best. This proves that management lashed out at me merely because of my health issues.

Pros

The gnome program every morning helps keep you updated on your training

Cons

Never get enough hours, no way to progress, bad management

Just awful

Management is a joke. Little to non existence. It’s a free farm for pretty much do whatever you want. Bad employees never punished, because management is intimidated by them and also terrified of anyone leaving because then they would have to step in and work. Good employees get all the managements anger thrown at them because they keep their mouths shut an actually work.

Productive and good place to work at

I worked here for 2 years i knew everybody all of my customers loved me, you need a lot of patience with everything in general but it isn’t bad. Management is alright

Satisfaction will depend on store location

Every store is different. The slower stores are nice to work in but there is a threat that they may close the pharmacy. Overall as a company there is never enough tech help. Everything is a metric and it's all about money. Goals and expectations are made to meet non-flu shot and flu shot goals. Threats are made of writing people up of goals aren't met. Overall I do like that they don't micro manage as hard as some other companies. In the retail would I would still choose this company though.

Low Pay, Low Stress Job

Minimum wage for someone who has over 25 years of experience, including management experience? The pay and benefits were better 30 years ago. Otherwise, a very low stress job.

Pros

Low stress, easy work

Cons

Slave wages

Eh

As much as I loved my coworkers, the pay and hours were an issue at my location. We were severely understaffed so I was called in frequently but never felt compensated for the work I was going above and beyond to do.

22 years in the retail industry. Winn Dixie is a good starter job in some locations. Do your research!

I have been employed with Winn Dixie for 22 years and I started when I was a teenager. Since that time I have been able to learn the deeper details of the retail industry and many departments. Meanwhile, I paid through all of school working at Winn Dixie and they were flexible around my school schedule. Overall, I think that Winn Dixie is a good starter job for teenagers and young adults, but that is starting to not be so ironclad of a sentiment. This is because they used to give teenagers and young adults more hours to compensate for less hourly wages. Since that is not the case anymore Winn Dixie is not able to hold and compete for young workers. Meanwhile other companies may offer less hours but the pay is way better.A typical day of work is clocking in and working on gnome training module for the day. Then checking in with your department manager on tasks needed to be done first.What I learned working at Winn Dixie is customer service interactions with customers which is important. It is important because communication is the most emphasized trait that is coveted in the rest of the business world. People pay thousands of dollars to take courses on communication and public speaking. Meanwhile working at your local Winn Dixie for a month will give you a crash course on both skills in a hurry!Workplace culture hinges on management which is why do your research before applying at a store. Talk to employees and observe how the business is run during weekend sales. That is the best way to tell how a store operates when things matter the most. I have worked -

Good

Good Place to work. I enjoyed my time at this location. Not much else to say. I went in did my job and went home. My manager was great and did not bother me much.

It's a job, stress is not worth the pay

Pay is not good. Favoritism is rampant. Have to take a lot of verbal abuse from customers about things you as an employee have no control over. The insurance that you pay for is terrible! Working full time hours and not recognized as full time

interesting work and lots to learn.

Enjoyed learning about the baking process. Not difficult or too fast paced. requires good organization and being able to prepare baked goods, check dates, organize refrigerators and check food temperatures often.

Cheap company

It's a good job if you're 16 trying to pay for gas, I was with the company for 4 years and was never made full time or above 9.73 an hour. The company Is the cheapest possible and would rather have messy stores than to hire and pay employees.

Job was alright.

I wasn't there for too long because they didnt give me the hours I wanted but it was alright. From the time I worked there, the environment could have been improved.

This work place is very unorganized and lacks communication.

At Winn-Dixie the management is unbothered by a lack of organization and lack of communication between staff. You never truly know your schedule as they will change it the night before. They have you pull expired candy and cigarettes and then have you put it all back as one manager wants it pulled in order to pass inspection while the other wants it to remain out. They do not communicate even between the managers and they are more than likely unseen on the floor or front end.

Great Environment and Employees

This is a great part time job if you enjoy communicating with your coworkers, working together, and want to make little extra money. The managers work with your schedule and are very considerate of your needs.

Never worked a day in my life in meat but was trained thoroughly and treated like family by close co workers and other departments. Never felt like there was a dumb question. All managers store and department are great and treated me like family.

The organization itself was rather solid-- my particular location was not.

Whilst I adored my coworkers and some of my managers-- I was not so lucky when it came to some other managers and the scheduling paired with understaffing made the job difficult to work efficiently in tandem with active schooling.

Just don’t

Take my advice and do not work here. You will get paid almost the same as someone who just gets hired with no experience as you do with over 3 1/2 years!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Winn-Dixie. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits