U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,892 reviews

Great service for anyone

Fast paced, hard work, opportunity to travel. Meet persons from all locations in the US. Open to follow desired career path. Many opportunities for advancement

Sense of purpose with execllent benefits and decent pay.

All dependent upon role and location but overall a rewarding career. Can shape your path by which career your choose. GI bill or various scholarship opporuntities offer a great launchpad with amazing tuition benefits. Overall very supportive, but depends on manager. Still a military organization, but somewhat flat and innovative at the team level.

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Have to move often, slow career progression, low earnings ceiling.

Great benefits, people actually care about most of your well-being BUT...

... if you consider yourself to be a part of the LGBT+ community do not expect much of a welcoming atmosphere. It's a shame though because the people you work with and for typically really want to see you succeed, but while I was closeted there I heard so many disparaging jokes at the expense of trans people and so on that I knew I had to leave in order to truly be myself and feel welcome.

Pros

Best work/life balance of all military branches, Benefits are great, Paid training

Cons

Serve at the convenience of the gov't, Can go underway on cutters for months at a time, Will be moved to different parts of the country some more desirable than others

You know what you’re getting

Consistent high tempo job. A lot of maintenance and flying to be done and either the constant duties or the maintenance end is gonna wear you out at time, as is with any job. Outside of that not too bad. Excellent benefits

Fun and productive place

The coast Guard is a great place to work. The environment is conducive for you to succeed and excel in your work. The staff and leadership allow for growth and creativity.

What is the best part of working at the company?Being away from itWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Interacting with the governmentWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Worst I’ve ever experiencedWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Misery, followed by depression.

Violation of religious freedoms

You can’t exercise your freedom of religion to deny a filthy vaxxine. Life is much better on the outside!! I feel bad for all who have to continue putting up with tyrannical military leaders that are pushing a communist agenda so hard, their eyeballs are turning red!

Demanding yet rewarding

I served in the Coast Guard for 20 years and am thankful for the opportunity I was given. I was able to provide for my family with job security and lots of extra benefits. I saw many countries I never would have been able to without this job. It’s a rewarding job if you work hard! Biggest downfall is the amount of time spent away from family. Over my 20 years, nearly half I was not home and missed out on many important birthdays, holidays, anniversaries etc. Overall, I had a positive experience in the Coast Guard and would do it again.

Great culture. Communication between leadership to subordinate’s is weak

The missions, the trainings, the places you travel and see and experiences, the people you meet and work will be unforgettable. Biggest issue is Command communication and transparency. It’s not exactly the worst, but far from stellar. Leaves quite a lot to be desired at many times

What is the best part of working at the company?Travel and growthWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Being at sea for long periods of timeWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Great and environment pushed you to give your best at all timesWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?hard to describe everyday was different

Varies

Depends on your unit and supervisor. Most people move every 2-4 years, and the work varies heavily depending on your unit. If stationed on a boat, it can mean long periods underway.

Diverse and Challenging work

Great place for a career in aviation. Super training, well-maintained aircraft, great mission and exceptional people. If I was 17 I would do it again.

Great place to grow

Everyday is different. This dynamic environment will keep you focused and on your toes! Great opportunity to travel and learn. Benefits are in par with all other branches.

Great place as a starting point, but it's still the military so you sacrifice a lot

Depends on where you end up getting stationed if it'll be good or bad. My time was enjoyable but i found myself overworked and stressed most of the time.

Pros

Health benefits, GI Bill, Job Stability, Promotions

Cons

Long patrols, Understaffed Units, Work schedules always change

Stressful but rewarding

Started as an engineer for 2 years on 210ft cutter. Moved over to the health-care side for 5 years at Joint Basr Cape Cod and enjoyed my time at that location.

Na

I have nothing to say.This job needs to pay more to All their workers and more benefits. If they can give then more $$$ it want be much turn over!!.Thanks

Very secure job, get out what you put in.

Do what you have to do and go home almost everyday, on land at least. Plenty of benefits to take advantage of that will benefit you inside and out of the service. Security and healthcare is amazing for families, pay is fair if you can manage your spending.

Yup it was good

It was good. Glad I did It. Also glad I’m done. There were plenty of times the ho. Came first and took a toll on my home life. Now I just Focus on the family.

Fixers and Fliers

Pros: Great Benefits and Stability. Amazing flying, good maintenance experience, and solid comradery. Cons: Government owns you, irregular duty/deployment schedules.

Great job security and advancement potential

Glad I served in the Coast Guard. I had a stressful but rewarding job. As long as you have a good command that will support you, you will be fine.

Great workplace

Fulfilling and exciting career. Ever changing work environment that keeps thing interesting. Invaluable training is offered that translates to the civilian sector.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits

Studying at United States Coast Guard Academy

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews
  • U.S. Coast Guard
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?