SGS

SGS Employee Reviews in Deer Park, TX

Salary / Benefits
I've been working here for a couple of months now, I came in hoping to learn many things. The lab setup is great, we have good equipment but barely anyone who is knowledgeable enough to use it. The training is horrendous because most management barely knows how to use the equipment and therefore cannot train anyone but you will be the first to be blamed when things go awry. Overall the job experience has been subpar with many stressful days and very little time for yourself. Your life will consist of eating, sleeping, and working with no time for friends because they are so severely understaffed that you will be called in a lot. I came in wanting to like this place and am now counting down the days until I leave. If you can find a job at another place take it.
Salary / Benefits
Bad management You won't be happy there unless your friends with the top people. Definitely don't give raises...very rare.Don't expect a promotion unless you apply for it when people quit.Technician always quitting real quick.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
Micromanagement
Salary / Benefits
Interaction with customers and SGS operations for the inspection of petrochemicals commodities at different port/ terminal locations. Due to the wide range of services and different countries of operations, we acquire a lot of knowledge and experience.
Salary / Benefits
The management is a joke. No real way to advance. If you have good ideas they don't care. Very chaotic environment to work in. Very juvenile behavior.
Salary / Benefits
Each day begins with QCs and is accompanied by all and any samples that require testing. It is a very fast-paced job, expect to be on your feet 80-95% of the time, and is a great place to work if you need the training to advance your career.
Salary / Benefits
I was very excited when I got my offer letter. The pay is nice but not worth all the work you have to do. They want you there all the time and will make you work nonstop. They will not work with you if you have a family or need time off. But most of the people there are nice. Managers and leads definitely need some kind of training on how to manage people. Or maybe just on people skills.
Salary / Benefits
SGS is one of the better Inspection companies to work for. The workplace culture could use some help, but when you're working more than 12 hours per day you tend to be a little testy to begin with. The days are repetitive, and very little opportunity to move from field work. Middle management doesn't seem to be able to create a cohesive culture as the turnover for the management position is high .Overall, however, SGS is fair to their employees (aside from raises) and are mostly clear when it comes to duties.
Salary / Benefits
There are many excellent workers here, with great attitudes. SGS is consistently on the leading edge of technology, and is always improving its product and has rightly earned the position of being the best. Pay and benefits are top notch.
Salary / Benefits
You gain knowledge that you can use elsewhere. They provide proper training and because of that you are highly soughted out by other companies. This is not a place for a career. Since management by Thomas Phan, the company has went downhill quickly. All the incentives that were there to motivate employees are gone, NO RAISES!
Salary / Benefits
My boss was one of the best bosses I have ever had. The culture is ok overall. There is a lot of work and sometimes the staff is leaner than it should be which cause a delta in new hire training. As an Inspector, the advancement opportunities are there. As administrative support, not so much.
Pros
Very social company
Cons
Some long term employees are territorial.
Salary / Benefits
Co-workers are friendly and hard working. People are willing to help when issues arrive. The work place is team oriented, and work together to devise a strategic plan to cover the work load.
Salary / Benefits
No Complaints. The Company structure is well balanced. Management staff is knowledgeable and experienced, and they are very helpful. The staff workers are hard working and learn their job functions very quickly.
Pros
Good Pay. Steady work.
Cons
Long hours.
Salary / Benefits
Great workplace Nice benefits for employees great Employee relationships Great place to develop as a chemist because of more methods in operation short breaks, get togethers sometimes
Pros
good work mates
Cons
shortbreaks, scrutiny
Salary / Benefits
if you do have inspection knowledge, this is the best place to work. Also, they allow you to work remotely. also, take care of your expenses. Nice place to work and grow. Travel is must.
Salary / Benefits
Blah- that's how I feel about it. Meaningless relationships with people you cant trust.. Not a warm and fuzzy place to work. I mean if your'e into small talk, being over worked, and underpaid, this is the place for you! I would 100% use their services in that department I would highly recommend them. I just wouldn't recommend working for them.
Salary / Benefits
SGS was the starting point for my career. It was a great experience working for such a company because of all the instruments I was exposed to. I was also able to experience a supervisor role while at SGS.
Salary / Benefits
Unorganized working environment. Management does not communicate well and shows favoritism. The expectations are never reasonable and does not have an adequate team put together for the workload given.
Salary / Benefits
SGS is a wonderful environment to work in. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide the advancement I need at this point in my life where I am ready to embrace my greatest potential in my career path. Management is understanding and friendly daily, I am thankful for their patience and kindness. I have learned so much about the oil industry and I know it will be very helpful no matter what career path I may go down.
Salary / Benefits
For many individuals, SGS would provide a satisfying and safe environment. I put my all into my work and expect the employer to aware of this. To be forward looking, fearless of new opportunities and to reward innovation. In such a large organization this type of culture can be difficult to sustain. SGS does a great job at keeping the employees safe and regularly checks in on the overall satisfaction of it's workers.
Pros
Solid, Bohemoth of a company that has been around for many years
Cons
Slow moving, perhaps too large.
Salary / Benefits
I loved working for SGS North America. I have learn everything their is about crude ,chemicals and LPG gas thru them.managment was always informative. the workplace culture was real diversify and friendly. the hardest part was at the end of my day when I had to say my goodbye to employees.
Pros
always get treated to lunch
Salary / Benefits
Good job for a college student but not consistent enough for someone that needs to make a real living. Little supervision, little oversight. The people that worked there back when I did were great.