Save-A-Lot

Save-A-Lot Employee Reviews

Fun workplace, friendly environment

Work is rather easy. Fast paced workers are greatly appreciated here. Same stuff, different day. Anyone can do this job. It does require to stand on your feet for hours at a time so get good insoles

Pros

Balanced hours

Cons

Short breaks, lack of benefits

It was a great company to work for

I enjoyed working for save alot I met a lot of people and I learned a lot iny time thereThe manager trained me in all departments. I did truck orders and inventory and day and night deposit

No it not a fun place to work, sorry but it the truth.

This company under pay it employees an doesn't give them the tools to succeeding their job, also Management expect you to do all the work wild they do nothing, so from my experience fine a other place to work.

To much drama and nothing done about it

Everyone is nice to your face than turns around and talks about you in a second especially management. They don't care anything about you, $13.20 an hour. If you want a come in and get away with anything at all, this is the place to work.

Pros

Close at 9pm. Your allowed to do whatever you want

Cons

Bad pay

Great place to work.

Save alot grocery store was a very comfortable and easy going workplace. And I it's also a place for growth. In less than a year I went from team member to assistant manager.

Bull

I had 2 weeks worth of training on the cash register. Everybody else got to go and do their jobs, and only I had to be on the register there was only two people who would operate it and the management sucks

It's a Job

Ok place to work if you don't mind dealing with customers and different personalities. The co workers and upper management was open and easy to get along with. Pay could be more for the work done.

A Chill and timely work space

it's a fine start for the people that are limited to travel and abilities to fine a career path and put food on the table and they are all pretty cool and fun in their own Way.

Short staffed, underpaid, and micromanaged

This company is not a good place to work long term. They hired me as a cashier and made me a shift lead within three days, but made me wait three months to get the pay raise even though I was doing the job all along for minimum wage. When I finally got the raise it was $1.00. I trained people, opened, closed, and was basically maintenance. I was called in early every other day and was called in on most of my days off. In the four months I was there we had an assistant manager quit, three shift leads quit, and nine cashier's quit. This job is a joke.

Productive and fun work environment

Benefits are extremely generous, 401k is lacking, however, overall the benefits package is very attractive. Hybrid work schedule is strict as they want you in the office 2 days per week minimum. Leadership is strong and talented, great company to work for.

Pros

health benefits, Pto

Cons

401 retirement waiting period and match, no parental leave

It’s a job

It was okay, customers were difficult and management was bad. There’s new owners now. You barely ever got a break. The owners would come to watch over everything a lot

Pros

Getting paid

Cons

Customers

Overall i really enjoyed it, everyone was kind and wanted to prosper, communcation and understanding was the bad

Enjoyed the job and pace of it. Just felt like i was put in extremley difficult situations wich i feel i handled very professionally and well. ill not speak any negative of anyone. Just wish I still had the job.

Pros

free water, interaction with great people

Cons

pay and lack of communication

Good Atmosphere, Reliable Employees.

It was a great place to work. They are pretty flexible and work with you schedule wise. I enjoyed going in fof my shifts and running my department. The only problem was a promise of a raise after holidays that i never recieved. Then they gave raises to new employees and i was one of the only ones in my department because every teenager hired kept quitting towards the end.

Pros

Great Environment

Cons

No followthrough, Lies about raises, High turn over rate.

Not Good

Got paid $0.30 over minimum wage and expected to do everything assistant managers did (who got paid 3-4 times as much). Store managers are obsessed with their bonus checks; they receive them based on store profit, meaning they will cut hours and leave the store with minimal associates. Managers manipulate you by trying to make you feel bad for not putting the store above all else (family, health, school. etc.). DO NOT APPLY!!

Unorganized

Has a lot of heart and potential but it’s management infrastructure is crumbling and it’s sad that market could do great over all it was frustrating cause there are people who care just not those in management

Customer Service

I enjoyed working at Save- A- Lot. I loved working with my coworkers and met interesting people. I was on my way to becoming a lead cashier and one day a manager until my legs started failing. I was even doing key turns when management had become busy doing other duties that needed to be done before the end of the day. If it had not been for my legs going bad, I probably would still be there. I had to have surgery in 2016 and could no longer perform my regular duties. Therefore, I had to end my employment with this company.

Working with great employees is what stands out when working for Houchens.

The average employee at my store had worked at this site for over 10 years and yet, they were very welcoming to new employees. Every day, we worked hard and still found the time to laugh and enjoy our jobs. I learned a great deal as I started as a cashier and worked my way up to Assistant Manager. This was supposed to be a job to just get me out of the house, but I truly enjoyed working with my co workers and I truly enjoyed seeing the same customers and forming work relationships. Management within this store was amazing. The store manager also worked his way to the top. However, management outside of this store such as the DM and above are awful. To them, you are just a number. It does not matter how much over time you put in or how reliable and loyal you are to the company. There are favorites that are treated better than the ones who actually work hard and perform.

Pros

Working in a face paced and friendly environment with great co-workers and customers.

Cons

This company has favorites regardless of how hard you work.

It was fun and worth working there.

They match you dollar for dollar on your 401K. They give you mandatory raises for every certain amount of hours you work. It's really great. Plus benefits. Awesome closing manager and I was a closer. Hard work but fun.

Pros

Nice meals on holidays, and the raises were great.

Cons

Not enough hours sometimes

Easy advancement

Keep to yourself and just do your job sometimes too much drama. Corporate is really nice though. It's easy to advance if you do what you are supposed to do.

Pros

Cons

Low pay no benefits

Stressful with no sign of relief in the future

At sal i give and give and it’s never enough i can work double shifts and get no appreciation i have worked there 14 yr and aged 30 yr i have bent over backwards for this company and get nothing in return i am the lowest paid store manager at any other retail store I actually have nothing good to say I’m unhappy there

Small team/community that works hard

I've worked at this store for several years. I'd say it was a pleasant experience. Customers are generally kind and friendly, as are co-workers. However, you won't usually be able to ever have full-time hours, let alone over-time.In my location, you would only get a single 15 minute break for working up to 7 hours in a shift. Since the team is small, there is generally a lot of work to do. This means that sometimes it is hard to keep employees due to them wanting a cashier position, that is ONLY a cashier. However, at this job, cashiers are always expected to stock and straighten shelves in between customers. I did not consider this an issue myself since I wanted to be able to move around. Working at this store has helped me learn how to deal with all types of customers in a professional manner and about time management. Management is generally good people, and understanding of having issues outside of work, but does come with limits as it would with any job.

Pros

no uniform, understanding management, no late hours

Cons

limited hours, short breaks, no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save-A-Lot. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits