Rural King

Rural King Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,298 reviews

Eh

It’s retail. Just like a country Walmart. At least they take better care of their animals now, but not a fun place to work. Customers and management are unpleasant.

Would not recommend

Doesn’t treat employee equallyvery bad favoritismwill hire family above anyonepay is not goodpoor communicationextremely disrespectfulnot supportive of anything

Very productive and fun place to learn farming stuff

When i was at rural king for 6 months it was a very fun experience learning the basic stuff about farming techniques and the use of everything i enjoyed the basics of helping sale stuff like tractors,lawnmowers, and other stuff but overall i really enjoyed the time but i just want something different

Pros

Hour lunch breaks

Cons

You couldn't talk to other employees very long while working unless it was team work or a project

Fun when all was well heath declines so did the job.

Started out well then has been going downhill for a couple years. My husband worked for the same location and started having health issues. Management called him a lazy bum for not doing his job up to his normal par. His pay and hours got cut drastically. Christian based company biased. If you work well and fast it's not bad but have a bad day and it all changes.

Pros

Family oriented employee events and discount

Cons

Poor management decisions

Turnover is outrageous, especially in management

My experience at Rural King depends on who my manager was. In the almost three years I’ve been with the company I’ve had 5 different store managers and a wide array of assistant managers. This led to inconsistency in leadership and it was hard to keep up with how to please the manager. Furthermore, the company’s credit card program is AWFUL. We are held responsible when customers refuse to sign up for a terrible credit card and customers get upset that we have to pester them all the time. Another issue is that corporate has no sympathy or understanding for what day to day operations are like in the store. I wouldn’t recommend this as a full time job but part time was not bad.

Pros

Hour lunch, no uniform, closed on major holidays

Cons

Too much responsibility for one person, inconsistent

Good place to start out

Good place to work. Worked back in Gun Barn. I don’t really support a lot of the legalities but did what I had to do fresh out of high school. Co workers were good. Pay wasn’t bad and the discounts I received were solid. Decent bonus program as well with $100 a month if you met your budget for full time employees and $50 for part time

Horrible work environment filthy

Management did not follow what their training said. No backups and could not leave dept to go to restroom without mgr approval. Under staffedI'd not go back.

Pros

Cons

No breaks, overwhelmed at times due to understaffing

I couldn't stand it.

Every day here was spent with employees being overworked for little pay and no respect. Management is vile. The work culture is intolerant. Don't waste your time here.

Fun place to work for.

Management is easy to talk to and if you need anything they will work with you. Pay isnt the greatest but what do you expect form a retail job. Over all its a great place to work for

not good place to work

management is very mean and hateful .very strange people.the good managers left. everybody that works there leaves there, turn over rates is largest i have ever seen anywhere

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rural King?

Can be a fun place to work

Store manager and managers were very nice and friendly. I guess reasonably good first job. Very nice and somewhat caring staff. I get to see every department everyday due to my job. If you dont like the maitenance job and want to get another job with rural king, dont expect to move from your position. I have been stuck in this position and have been trying to get out of this position for a while.

Pros

Long 1 hour lunch break, benefits and pto

Don't work here -10/10

Stay far away from this place, it is not a good place to work, at least not anymore. I used to love my job here, I came in energized and ready to work. Nowadays however the work environment is toxic, upper management likes to talk smack behind peoples backs and single people out that disagree with them. People who work hard get "rewarded" with extra workload without getting a raise. People who are lazy are not held accountable. The current store manager may sweet talk you, do not fall for it, he does not care about customers nor people. He exposed the stocking crew to a chemical called 30 second outdoor cleaner and made them all sick from the fumes. He refused to hold himself responsible for his actions (or a lack there of). No apologies were given and he claimed the stockers were blowing things out of proportion during the morning meeting held later that day. He also dropped an overhead door on one of the stockers heads and proceeded to write the victim up for it, claiming they should of been paying more attention when he was the one who let go of the rope that was holding it in place. He has put people in danger deliberately and just shrugged it off like it is their fault and not his. Some of the other managers aren't so bad, but too many negative attitudes overall. This is the absolute worst management I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, the best thing to do is to run far away from this job. -10/10

Pros

employee discount, some cool associates

Cons

no real teamwork, upper management, poor morale, lack of accountability, too low of a wage for workload, lack of a "real" receiving truck schedule

Not Terrible, but needs lots of improvement

The bad: RK is extremely disorganized in almost everything. There is virtually no training process and you are thrown into the job without knowing what you’re doing and are expected to simply figure it out as you go. The store is often a mess because there are not enough people hired to keep things presentable. Expectations of your role change daily and you are frequently threatened with termination if you don’t reach those goals. Your every move in the store is filmed and reviewed and you are scrutinized on any mistake that you make while working. Store manager also routinely blames the employees for lack of sales at the location.The good: The pay is good for the area. Schedule is usually pretty flexible (though they will call you about something almost every off day). Associates and customers are usually nice. 15% discount on almost everything in store.

Pros

Pay, employee discount, flexible schedule.

Cons

Poor management, unclear job roles, no training

Not horrible

Not bad for a first job, good for young adults, pay isnt the best and managment isnt the best, room for advancement is good, they promote from within

Pros

Not horrible

Cons

Pay

Best place I’ve worked at!!

I LOVED working at RK! I started out as a cashier and was promoted to Customer Service in a few weeks times. Management cares about workers and how they are doing! When I worked there, it was during Covid and I got sick with it! The company was amazing and paid me for my time off! I regret leaving and wish I would have stayed! It felt like family!

The job

I really just didn't like working in the heat. I don't like sweating too much in the heat. Drinking water doesn't help. I left a note saying I quit on this day of this reason & I don't remember what I wrote.

Cons

It’s a fun place to work

Overall it’s a great place to work. They work with you and if you need time off for appointments or family emergency. The managers are helpful, great

Pros

Fun place and they advance with in first

Cons

Only 1 weekend off a month

Great starter job

It was a great starting job people were nice Customers were nice. work was easy and quick to complete but they would over work people in certain departments and under work in other departments with no pay difference and department heads get payed more but it still wasn't worth it. TLDR: Great starter job for high school or just getting out but not a keeping job.

Pros

discounts good loyalty and easy work

Cons

short breaks little pay and they still managed to over work you

Worst place to work, dumb managers! You will get screwed over.

I didn't learn a thing I knew more than the managers that worked there, all they can do is lie in you're face and screw over you. Hire family with big pay.

Decent place to work

Good pay, they will work around your schedule for the most part if you are part time. This would make an excellent side job or for someone in school.

Always looking for ways to improve the company

Could be a great company if they slowed down a little to look at the big picture. Most workers are given more workload than they can handle and people are often stressed. They have a great idea and moral, but lack in store reality.

Pros

Advancement opportunities

Cons

Workload per person

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits