PetSmart

PetSmart Employee Reviews

Showing all 11,257 reviews

Fun work environment in Grooming Salon, but is busy all the time. Can be stressful. Not much help from management.

I was employed for 13 yrs. with PetSmart. I loved my co-workers, my clients and my dogs! Only negative is no support from management. They promise to help you out, but don't. No discipline for people who do wrong, weekly.

Pros

Good benefits, good pay

Cons

No breaks, too busy...No extra help from managers..always short staffed.

Understaffed and lack of boundaries

Pay grade was low for the amount of stress and physical strain on ur body. Team leader only cared about profit and making weekly quota's. I often felt unsafe at work and was not allowed to turn away dogs that made me uncomfortable and they would get angry at me and they would gaslight my feelings. I felt they only cared about profit and the dogs, the staff were their least concern, we were so overworked and understaffed you could not take breaks even if you were stressed from a dog trying to bite you. When I would get my 2 days off work they would often blow up my phone to try to get me to pick up more shifts, if you refuse they would guilt trip you.

Great company

They really care about their employees. They have lots of benefits and celebrate all people and cultures. The staff are great and I love working with the animals.

Not productive or a fun place to work at

Hours are being handed out even though we dont have them. If you are there for awhile you wont get full time unlike someone who was there 2 months. You will never get hours that you need. Management chooses favorites, etc One of the managers loves to put people down, etcNot the best place to work.

Under paid and over worked

I’ve worked for Petsmart as a pet stylist for years and they have some of the lowest prices. If they run specials the percentage comes out of your check. They kept adding more chores and tasks with no pay increase. Very minimal raises with only 50% commission. They have a lot of strange rules pertaining to grooming. It’s great if you’re looking to learn grooming or just starting out but for experienced groomers you can make a lot more privately and actually make what your skills are worth.

Productive at all times

Great place to learn how to groom lots is expected as a groomer but very fulfilling. Lost of policies to learn and remember though safety as a groomer is your top priority.

It was a great experience for me

This was my first job. It was super fun and I had great coworkers! The managers were great and we’re all on the same page. Most of the customers were great too. The animals were if course the best part. Definitely a good place if you love animals! Pay was okay, discounts could be better, but I loved it!

Fun

When I worked there, it was fun but recently they’ve had a change in management so I’m not sure anymore. But I loved it in the beginning. They should work on advancement though

Marketing dept shows favoritism, Constant Turnover

Pros: - good pay - great childcare on campus - pets can come to work (pretty much any pet!)- fun projects- cafe & gym on campus Cons:- senior leaders aren’t aligned so departments have to fight instead of work towards a common goal - extremely political and lots of favoritism, lots of people that have been there 20+ years that have monopoly on who will progress in their careers - behind the times in terms of technology and e commerce - benefits are standard for a large company, many competitors have better- some departments still “old school” in their views including remote work

Decent for a first job, but have a better one lined up

They should basically always be hiring, with how understaffed most stores are. There's a store in our area that rarely has more than three people to do the work of eight. Plus, the management willingly lies and decieves to manipulate you to work on your days off. Benefits are only to full time, and it's not clear how to even advance into a full time position. I worked here for nearly 4 years and got two raises, neither more than 50 cents. Another woman at a nearby location worked there since the 1990s and still only makes minimum wage. Petsmarts need to unionize if anyone is going to be treated or paid fairly at this terrible, backbreaking job that provides minimal support to it's employees. Mental health resources and LGBT+ are good, but when everything else lacks, it's not enough.

Pros

Cute animals, 9/10 nice customers

Cons

Hard to advance, not worth the effort or the benefits. Find a new job asap.

Not worth it.

Worked there 3 years. Got overworked, managers sat in the office while regular employees worked on tasks that needs the whole team to complete. Animal care wasn’t a main priority. I was a MIL and only had one stocker. I couldn’t do my duties because I had to be a stocker every night I worked. We received 3 trucks a week and it was only us two that worked them to completion. Came in at 2am to get the trucks as finished as we could. Ended up leaving the company due to just being overworked and always in some type of pain. Don’t not recommend.

Pros

Cons

Everything.

It's fine

Corporate has some unrealistic expectations. Associates and groomers are underpaid for the amount of work they are expected to achieve. Not very supportive of employees with disabilities. Training for floor associates is severely lacking. You rely heavily on your coworkers for training. I was lucky enough to have a Grooming manager that was understanding when I was a few minutes late due to taking the city bus to work, otherwise, per company policy, I would have been fired. This is a decent company for work experience in cashier work, pet knowledge training and dog bathing+ grooming.

Retail Job with Pet care twist

Overall job was ok as a petcare specialist, but should expect fluctuations in work/responsibility depending on the day/time/ number of staff on floor. My location was almost always understaffed; 2 people in the store not including supervisor/manager and salon/hotel services. So 1 person on cash and 1 person on petcare/on the floor. This would result in a lot of uncompleted daily tasks, backlogs in work-flow, and high-stress when trying to handle all customers by yourself. Staff are mostly friendly and managers are very understanding. Would expect a typical work period to last a couple of months such as myself. Expect to do a lot more in your shift than expected.Wish there was more specific training for animals in store and for daily tasks since you’re given such a short time to learn everything.

Productive and FUN

Good jobPet Care Associate (Former Employee) - Tempe, AZ - June 21, 2022good job, but you should actually be knowledgeable about pets if you’re going to work here. If you’re not a cashier, a lot of your job is giving advice to pet parents and if you don’t know what you’re talking about you are putting the animal’s health (and even life) at risk. I did A LOT of at home research on the animals we had in store, since Petsmart makes no effort to make sure you know about pet care

A joke

Oh where do I even start lol favoritism at its finest and talk about a management that loves to gossip about associates and the store manager that never shows up or can’t stay more than 2 hours but is short staffed and over worker employees and loved to embarrass associates in front of customers it was a miserable job that unfortunately I only stuck around for the animals and my regulars miss y’all but left that toxic place

it was ok

The management was terrible. we were always short staffed and the managers were rude to employees, while they sat in their office and left two people to run the entire store.

Good job

Toxic work environment

It’s all rainbows and sunshine for the first couple months then it goes downhill from there. Management is awful and treats staff poorly. They expect so much out of you in very little time and with no guidance.

How i feel about petsmart

The staff are really friendly and they treat you like family. It’s just i don’t believe that the management is really good. There is also a big call out rate.

Company has changed

Company used to be such a fun, inviting and inclusive place to work. However, when covid hit they cut all labor and hours even while doing records sales. This is running everyone thin and causing burnout and mental health issues leading to turnover.

Pros

Good people and work with animals

Cons

Expects way to much with no labor or people to complete

Just want to be able to read reviews

I worked here a while ago and it was a good company laid back decent people, high call volume, but it wasn’t hard. Management could def be better. Good starting out call center.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits
  • PetSmart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?