Orscheln Farm and Home

Orscheln Farm and Home Employee Reviews

Fun with the right coworkers and mindset

At Orschelns the job is fun, fast paced, and you are able to move up quickly if you work hard. The community in Orschelns is very strong and each team member looks out for one another. The only downside is the pay. It leaves a lot to desire.

Horrible place to work

Working at this job was so horrible and I don’t recommend at all. The management is horrible and the work environment is hostile. I used to work at the Fulton store and that place was a disaster. I do not recommend at all.

Managers are very happy of my performance

My team co-works helped me understand my job. I’ve learn a lot from this store.I’m cashier and keep shelves stocked and organized. Help service is good.

Pros

You get promoted when you do a great job

Cons

I get 30 hrs now I wish I can get 40hrs

Can be a fun place to work, great advancement opertunities

OFH is a great place for advancement and fun to work at. I started as a part time stocker and within four years I was managing my own store. Sometimes the corporate office can be a pain and they will do whatever they think is in the best interest wheather or not it's right.

Pros

Quick advancement

Cons

Pay is mediocre

No two days are the same. Can be challenging. Customers are usually rewarding to work with.

Could be better than it generally is. Management really isn't trained to manage people, and then wonders why they don't get maximum results from staff. More attention needs to be paid at Corporate level as to who is put it charge at store level.

Work here if you got nothing better to do

Just simply put. Lots of overtime (mandatory) you’ll lose a lot of friday and Saturdays with use of your time (pto etc). Some more things you should know is that they can’t keep a lot of new hires

Pros

Decent money

Cons

Overtime

High stress and hard to accomplish goals with no guidance or support.

If you can play thier politics it's great and you can do things like call your managers stupid and stick your hands down your pants with no recourse but if you don't they will fire you for a bad audit and not changing your schedule a day in advance. Also they will hire someone for your store two months before firing you. They also have an insanely odd rating system with no written guidelines and the only one who knows what a A is is the one rating but he won't tell you what an A is. For example we had a brand new store open and it was given a B. Some managers can do things like sell damaged goods for really cheap but others can't, and they will be told to do this in front of you right after they investigate you for selling something out of the trash.

Pros

If you're a guy you will go far with the company

Cons

Literally everything, Long work hours, they cut hours down to nothing then asked for more to be done (during record breaking years), absolutely insane back and forth guidelines

Bad management, very little employees, low pay, stressful work life.

During my couple months of working here I’ve experienced the worst I’ve ever experienced at any job. Managers want employees to perform duties that are near to impossible including putting away freight while running the register. They are always worried about people going behind the register and stealing but continue to tell employees to walk 50-100 feet away from the register to do odd and ends side jobs. I would rather be attentive to customers at the register instead of customers walking around the store finding me. On a good day you will have 2 people in the store which means absolutely nothing gets done by what the manager wants! The only thing decent is the employee discount and the boot purchase program! Other then that this company is red flags! I’ve never had more stress and anxiety but this job. You could be doing the same job making more then minimum wage and working for a company that actually cares for employees not making them corporate slaves…

Friendly Environment, need adjustments to budget

They are Always fighting against the budget. They Want and expect more out of the employees but won’t pay for it, and don’t allow the proper time to complete tasks during the day due to budget. They want you out of the building at close.

Pros

Farm life Atmosphere, good Employee Discounts

Cons

Budget, Pay, Hours

Terrible

Poor management and higher ups are just the “good ole boys club”. Terrible place to work and be successful. If you want to be a successful person do not work here.

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Orscheln Farm and Home?

Honestly super fun when everyone gets along but the store manager is not very nice

Fun environment between coworkers but workers do get treated horribly by customers, one manager is not good at listening. I personally wouldn’t work here again

Pros

1 hour lunches and coworkers care for each other

Cons

People who work hard get over worked and people who don’t, don’t work at all

Na

Management was okay, let a lot of stuff slide with staff, good and bad. Not closed on Thanksgiving, long weekend hours and little pay. Plus you do inventory by hand there

Pros

Na

Cons

Low pay

Challenging and fast pace

If you enjoy being apart of a company that takes car of you work at orschlens. Health insurance is great, they have programs to help you fight addiction, get a free pair of boots and even pay for your gym membership. Its small enough to know almost everything thats going on and big enough to compete.

Pros

Free lunches during the busy season /Hour lunches

Cons

Occasionally short handed

Good store level management

I’ve never had a problem with management at the store level. They’ve always been great people and great to work with. Upper management is a bit of a joke. They want to get blood from a turnip with they hours they allow for payroll. They want three people to do the work of six with pay that is sub par at best.

Pros

Great work people

Cons

Low pay, disorganized upper management

Interesting place to work.

Orsscheln is an interesting work environment. Although I'm based in the Sporting Goods department I get to help out in other departments. Customers come in looking for all sorts of oddball items and it is rewarding helping them go home with what they need. I've personally learned a lot about farm and home products from Customers and management.

Pros

Flexible lunch breaks.

Cons

Work environment a bit warm.

Easy work, not so good management

This job was easy and I enjoyed the customers. As for the store, everything was so disorganized. I had a good friendship with a few of the higher ups but other than that the others were just lazy. The whole place is a sh*tshow and don't count on getting to move up either. They will hire someone off the streets to assume a management position rather than put a loyal employee that has been there for years and knows all of the ins and outs. Other than that, if you're in high school and just needing to make gas money go for it, if you're looking for a career I would look elsewhere.

Pros

Good customers, employee discount

Cons

Disorganized, lazy management

Easy going work environment

Its retail so it’ll keep you busy most of the time. Management is flexible with your schedule and easy to work with when needing time off. Must be able to lift 50 pounds consistently because customers are very needy when coming in and always expect you to carry out for them.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Pay isn’t very competitive

Great stepping stone job

Company is great to work depending on the position desired. It was a great learning experience and with very hard work, I was promoted multiple times within a few years.

Pros

Interesting and fun atmosphere, flexible schedules

Cons

Large workloads on small crews

Freedom to run your store

Orschelns views and direction have changed the past few years. They are more focused on money rather than their people. Things at the store level are great if you have the team.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Benefits, pay

Pay isn't greatest but is fair For what you do. Management is great and helpful. Customers are friendly and most are regulars, great products and, and flexibility for your schedule.

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

Job is retail.

the worst job anyone could work

i could work anywhere else for the same job and get paid better, the management is horrid and the people who come in the stores know more about what they need/are looking for than the employees do just because there is no real training.STAY AWAY FROM THIS JOB

Pros

Cons

Everything about the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orscheln Farm and Home. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits
  • Orscheln Farm and Home
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?