Nordstrom

Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Showing all 14,892 reviews

Very Competitive commission based environment

The company is one of the best ones in terms of opportunity of growth. There might be micro Management sometimes. Some of the policies might confront with your interests like achieving your sales goals. For instance, if you work in the cosmetics department, you have to offer free makeovers for the customers which will take a lot of your time without selling. But in the end of the day you will be asked to make your numbers. retail in general can be very stressful and tiring. If you are willing to do it though, Nordstrom will give you good experience.

Pros

Customer service experience

Cons

Standing on your feet for hours, sales goals pressure.

Fast paced but worth it

Well structured place to work. There are a lot of trainings to help you succeed and the environment is friendly and supportive. The work itself can be very redundant but the perks keep you going and you feel like a solid part of the success of your team.

Pros

employee discount, teamwork, good management structure

Cons

still a call center

The managers won't care what you have to say

Managers will only listen to you if they need something from you or if it is too late. There is a lot of favoritism, and they are not flexible with your schedule. Very much high school behavior, especially from the managers who just sit in their office and talk behind their employee's backs.

Would not recommend

Worked here for 5 years, at first enjoyed however they do not pay you enough for the work an effort expected of you. Toxic company culture that makes employees feel valued.

eh just ok

eh...some cool coworkers depending on your dept high sales goals managers seem overwhelmed and it effects the overall morale customers can be really great or really nasty - must want to sell and under stand fashion and know how to pull and suggest outfits to do well

Fun work environment

great place to work. fun. managers can be extra sometimes though. dealing with people is hard sometimes. I would work here again. I did like it but catty sometimes

Good Environment, Questionable Management

Very inclusive to different types of people, but upper management and GM definitely need work. The store is closed now for a reason, and it's quite unfortunate

Very professional and well organized

A fun and professional place to work at all of the employees are very helpful the chefs are very good and helping you with what you need to work and very respectful and professional about how they go about their position

Very productive.

It’s a good company to work for. I love working here at Nordstrom Distribution center. There’s a lot of favoritism from the managers when it comes to promotion. You can work hard, know your stuff really well, have good attendance, and a degree and the managers will promote someone they like or hire outside the company.

Cons

Unprofessional managers

Pleasant

I worked at Northpark mall in Dallas from 18 to my early 20’s. I had a great manager and loved the store discount. I enjoyed all the department commission competitions.

Do not recommend

This was my least favorite retail job of all time. They are commissioned based sales. Unfortunately, during my period I'd employ sales were extremely slow. If you do not meet your sales goals, you are faced with disciplinary actions.

Exciting but challenging team

Nordstrom is a very fun place to work, but sometimes your “team” members actively work against you. Can feel like a hostile environment. The pay sucks unless you’re in a commissioned position

Good pay

Ok place to work… was way better a few years ago… they made alot of changes which include metal detectors and adding security… pay is good management is ok

Great employees

I made some great relationships at Nordstrom. Management doesn’t always listen to employees. In my personal experience, my direct manager never advanced any employee beyond sales. He had 7 assistant managers leave in 3 years. He’s now left the company, to which I think might allow others to flourish.

The company wasn't consistent but the people were great.

I understand that many companies had to adjust after COVID, but it was always something new every month and the workload became stressful. I'm a firm believer in Work/Life Balance but I wasn't getting that towards the end. It was great working with the associates and managers though.

Great employees

I was the assistant manager, it was great I loved the people I worked with, I enjoyed the other assistant managers. Issues arises when the managers above you don’t work their full shift but expect everyone to work their full shift.

Ok

Job was fun but one of the managers was a complete ogre. Upper management knew she was mean and played favorites but kept her way too long (3+ years)

Hostile work environment with rude management

Overall vibe is really cliquey. Management has favorites which is normal, but they treat everyone that isn’t a favorite like dirt. New hires are given very little training, but are expected to perform as well as people that have been working there for years. The work is also way more physically demanding than they let on. The stress is not worth the pay.

Selective management, not good with manners

Kitchen Management doesn’t try to understand your position when something happens. barely comes into the kitchen, and when that happens only sticks to his group of people to talk to and doesn’t include everyone. No involvement to the advancement of making someone feel at home. Only the people who get paid around the same, share in that regard. People around the kitchen will try to take advantage if you are new and if you overwork, management doesn’t give much thought to you anyways. Other departments in the store will try to act like they are above who yu are as a person/worker and make you do things that will make you feel uncomfortable. I recommend a warehouse position or none at all.

Pros

Free food, great communication with FOH and dishwashing team

Cons

Management, lack of empathy towards newcomers

Not bad

Worked as a web fulfiller and had a good time doing it. Environment was chill but the pay could be better. People that worked there were cool but sometimes management expected too much of us especially during holiday when it gets super busy. Benefits like medical were only valid if you worked enough hours during each quarter and sometimes is go too slow to accumulate the hours to meet those requirements.

Good Company, great tech, Poor compensation

Pros: Good Company to work forSincere ManagementGreat and extensive , evolving techGreat engineers to work withCons: Poor payBad insurance Bonus never get paid off really.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits
  • Nordstrom
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?