Menards

Menards Employee Reviews

Showing all 8,124 reviews

small girl expected to carry heavy items

i geniunely enjoyed most of the people that i worked with. however, when it came to working in the cabinetry and appliances department, there were many tasks expected of only you all at once.

Not bad as a part time job

As a job during college its not to bad. The hours are flexible and the pay is fair, but that's about the only positive aspect. There really is no "training" management practically just dumps you with a co-worker and says good luck. The only problem is that's very likely how that co-worker was trained as well. Even with 'heavy machinery" i.e. forklifts, management don't actually train you. You watch some videos and they do a basic test; drive here, lift the tines up and grab that pallet, lower it down, put it down, back out of it, drive back into it, grab it, bring it back to where it was, lift it up, put it back, back out, lower tines, drive here, test done. The customers are the worst part. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stay over an hour past close because 1 person deicide to come in to the lumber yard at the last minute, worst part is sometimes they don't even help they just sit down and let their kid shine a flashlight in your eyes. You're not allowed to hang out with your department's managers, outside of work hours (I've had other jobs where you could). The late policy is harsh. You get yelled at for even having small conversations with co-workers even if you're just asking a work related question (other departments get away with it). If you want to be a department manger or store manger in retail then I guess this would be a great place since you can get to assistant department manager in under a year if you work hard enough.

Not a bad place to work but...

I don't mind working over 40 hrs every once in awhile, but some managers will force you to stay over past your shift, sometimes on a single day, up to 3 hrs over your shift, if they're understaffed, in which case, they will either write you up or threaten your job if you don't listen to them. The stress they put on you once you become a manager, isn't worth it in my opinion. Once you become a manager, the GMs treat you differently. Makes me wish I would've stayed full time. Also, don't get me started on mental health. They don't give care at all, not at all. You better learn to suck it up, or else. Unfortunately that's how it is there.Only good things I can say, is that you do get paid breaks, IPS every year, 401K and tons of paid vacation. Plenty of incentives. Also, most of my co workers are some of the nicest people I've ever worked with.Just be careful going into management, your mental health will deteriorate when you hop into it.

Pros

Paid 15 min breaks, Ips, 401K, vacation

Cons

Lack of communications between you and managers, lack of staff, lots of gossip, don't get sick days

Pays A Living Wage But That's It

Pros:I work full time in the front end department. The pay is really a living wage that can help a lot of people get by. Weekends have an additional incentive hourly rate.Cons:I interviewed with HR, who said the managers would be very flexible with my schedule. I got hired assuming that I would be able to work just weekdays but then the managers told me that I have to work every other weekend. And later I'm told that I'm actually supposed to have a completely open availability for being full time. That was not what I was told by HR. There are also no exceptions to not meeting the minimum of 40 hours if you are full time. There is a point system for missing shifts or being late, and eventually that could lead to termination if you accumulate enough points within the 90 day period before it resets. The only plus from that is there is a five minute leeway to clock in early or late to the start of the shift, but this does not apply to your breaks. They do not pay attention to the previous work schedule when making new ones, so I have been scheduled 7 days in a row, usually through the weekend since the work week starts on Sunday. I've brought this up to management and they essentially made it seem like it was not their problem that they don't look at the previous week. I was scheduled 8 days in a row once because I took two unpaid days off during the week. Like I said, there is no exception to not meeting the 40 hours without losing points or being forced to switch to part time. Even my part time coworker has been scheduled for a 40 hour work week because they took four days -

Great job to start off with

They pay fair and are very flexible with your schedule great for students needing a part time job. You will always learn something new everyday here and have a chance at advancing through the company.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Payroll

Management is awful

Management is nothing but demeaning of people. Drama is all around. Managers talk bad about their employees to other employees. You’re expected to do everything in a timely manner and work overtime until you finish.

Pros

Pay

Robotic at times

The work can be boring if you get stuck in the same role and have to deal with the same situations daily. The atmosphere is very stressful with people asking you where things are and dealing with rude customers.

Great place depending on location

Great place to work if your in school or job over the summer good money for the work that’s put it good work environment flexible schedule and hours.

Pros

Flexible / Fun work environment

Cons

Mid managers

Don’t expect to have a life when you work here

Work you to death for no reward. Management does nothing and only cares about getting there monthly bonus as you don’t get any bonus for doing the work that there suppose to be doing!!!Schedule is not your friend, they have you work a closing shift then be back in at opening the next morning then repeat. Mandatory weekends and only hire for part time so they don’t have to offer medical witch is a joke anyways minimal insurance is only beneficial if u loose a limb or pay your whole weeks worth of pay for any decent insurance and when I say a whole weeks worth I mean every week u have to pay for it so it’s not worth it unless you work 80+ hours a week. Whatever bonuses they give the average employee isn't really a bonus it’s in store credit that they even tax you on. I suggest to not even apply to this unfair and bias company.

Wouldn’t recommend working there as a women

Decent job but horrible managers, it really depend on who and what store you work at. Workplace harassment happens to be a common theme here, definitely wouldn’t recommend working here as a woman you’ll have to deal with creeps all day. There’s no opportunities to learn about your department and the training is very basic and doesn’t go into full detail (you’re pretty much expected to learn your department in 2 months or less, which is very unrealistic ESPECIALLY if you work in the Hardware department, I.e. the biggest department)

Pros

Prd, discounts/rebates

Cons

Short/barely any breaks, work place prejudice, terrible management, no room for advancement

It’s okay but

This job is okay for just starting out. The pay is good and if you work hard you won’t be bothered. The only thing is at times you get put on projects that are pointless.

Pros

Pay, environment, coworkers, and flexible hours

Cons

Depending on location the managers, If you work in the upstairs storage space it is very hot

Overall okay guests can be hard to work with

It was fine a little drama and some hiring issues. Our store had a management overgaul and we had GO looking at us through a microscope very stressful

Good job to get you by

My overall experience of this job was not a bad one. You come in and do the same thing pretty much everyday. You stock shelves, help guests and clean up the store every shift. It’s a good job for college students looking to get by while going to school but nothing more than that.

Good place to get leadership experience

Menards is a good place to make money fast. You can work as many hours as you want and they pay you well considering the average hourly rate for jobs now a days. If you work hard and show that you care you can easily advance quickly in the company. Be prepared to work wacky hours as menards is open 6am-10pm.

Pros

Paid 15 minute breaks, manager bonus, profit sharing

Cons

Working weekends, not a set schedule

Ok

Ok place to work. The company is privately owned. One person controls the entire company. They decide what is good for the profitability of the company. Sometimes that’s not always good .

Fair Management. Good work environment. Expectations realistic.

Wish I would have found Menards years ago.Great Team Environment.I feel supported by management.Clear career paths.Company is focused on the guest and their satisfaction.

It’s a corporate company

Higher ups don’t exactly care about employees. If you are in college you can’t go full time regardless of how many hours you work. General office watches everyone through the cameras and sends pictures to gm. Complaints are often swept under the rug, and employees are overworked. As an employee it felt like they didn’t treat us like human beings, just work horses. Oh and the customers will treat you like the gum on the bottom of their shoe. If you are able to get hours, the pay is pretty good.

Great pay and ability to promote

Great company depending on how the management runs your store. Even though there is a lack of normal benefits offered by other employers, they offer profit sharing and weekend incentive pay which can really balance it out. If you are interested in promoting within the company they will get you to where you want to be. On the other hand, there are too many people in management positions that should not be.

Pros

Great pay, profit sharing, incentive pay, flexible scheduling, tons of available training

Cons

Confusing attendance/break violations system, poor management, stressful environment

poor work enviroment

Managers of departments are on a power trip .They cut your hours for dept part time workers and give themselves as many hours as they want after the holidays they cut the part time workers down to like 12 hours a week and schedule any hours they please. Overall it was a poor decision to work there, also if you get 16 hours it will require you work 4 days a week ! favoritism is ramped.

Good pay bad management

The work is ok but the schedule is all over the place and management is not very good every manager either doesn't know what they are doing or micromanage every little thing

fun workplace with amazing management

Managers up front at my store are really amazing and respect everyone. They provide a fun environment and make sure everyone feels safe and well taken care of!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menards. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits