Hy-Vee, Inc.

Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

Showing all 6,009 reviews

Not what it used to be

Not the company it used to be. Pay not competitive with other retail establishments. Trying too many new ideas before working on what needs fixed. Still a few good people that make you feel like they truly care.

Horrible Management

This place is an utter disaster most of the time. The time management is extremely poor there, they don’t care about your time at all. A lot of the time, they just put you where they want and won’t even give you the position you wanted. They would really undercut your pay than what you should be getting paid. Don’t be surprised if you’re yelled at, at least once a week. Don’t be surprised if your shift ends much later then when it should. Don’t recommend Hy-Vee and I have many friends who’ve worked there as well that agree. Though, I will say that most of the employees there are extremely nice and polite. Some of them are my friends to this day. Besides that, DON’T CHOOSE THE SAVAGE OR SHAKOPEE HYVEE FOR WORK.

Pros

$6 Lunches from the food courts, HyVee Gas Perks, friendly coworkers.

Cons

Bad Time Management, Undercut pay, food tastes mid after a couple weeks, Very rude & unprofessional management.

Tedious

Every store is different. Even though they say they have a helpful smile in Every aisle the employees would probably dispute that. About 50% or more that is. The employees that have been there for years/decades are basically untouchable because they've become part of the fabric and have no other experience to compare their workplace with. People who have come from a diverse background however usually have a much different experience. Not necessarily smooth sailing. If you're tolerant of long term employees telling you that your previous experience doesn't mean you have any status in the HyVee company a d their way is the best (once again not having anything else to compare it to) you can probably deal with it. I did for 5 years until the nonsense took its toll on me.

Pros

Some times you can work independent from the nonsense.

Cons

Unnecessary B.S.

Like the coworkers and some managers but corporate and customers are up your a** nonstop

Ok place to work as a starter. Wouldn't recommend it as a career, there are better jobs out their and this place really hires anyone they can get their hands on.

The job in general

i love hy-vee & by it only being my second job its amazing the managers are really sweet and amazing at doing their jobs. Most of the workers are very helpful nice and caring. i dont see me finding a new job anytime soon !

productive and vast work environment

working in my positions you are just asked of what you can do, nothing stressful most of the time and nothing that asks too much of you. management is always supportive and there are plenty of people who are there to help you if need be. the workplace culture is vast and widespread with people from all over working in that environment. the hardest part of the job is just satisfying a lot of costumers when we are at our busiest times. the most enjoyable part is being able to learn an array of new skills that will not only help me in further careers but also help with basic life essential skills.

Flexible with your schedule good work life balance- however employees not valued

Employees are replaceable. There are lots of perks to working with Hy-Vee. They make split second and often rash decisions. There are lots of benefits. They work really well with part timers and will work with your schedule. Most of the retail positions are great if that is what you are looking to find. The corporate side of the company is a completely different bear.

High turn over

The customers are rude and you are overworked for the little pay they offer. When I started a lot of the techs were new. I should have realized that it wasnt a good place to work when hr said in my interview “are you willing to stay long term.”

Great office and lunches, executive leadership needs work

HST office is very nice and offers great amenities. The hybrid work option is nice. Full remote work is discouraged. IT management is forward-thinking and collaborative. The benefits are good, but parental leave could be much better. Tuition reimbursement is a joke, can only be used through a private university that the company partners with. Executive leadership cares more about sales and advertising than their employees. The 2022 layoffs were not executed well and resulted in losing more IT staff. Leadership needs to repair the relationship with their IT workforce.

Pros

Office, lunches, events, flexibility

Cons

Leadership communication, continuous education

Low pay for low expectations.

The only positive experience of Hy-vee employment is a very flexible schedule, due to every part time employee getting less than 30 hours a week. Ive worked there for 4 years with no raise and no praise or recognition for my work. Morale is very low with everyone from upper management to part timers not caring about the work environment or the people in it.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hy-Vee, Inc.?

No support from upper management

I was with the company 23 years at the same store. It used to be a great place to work. I left in April 2022 and not one upper management person said anything to me about leaving

Pros

Discounts and good health insurance

Cons

No breaks during 12 hour shifts on weekends, no support people to help

A place to work

Pros- You can move up if you show potential- Lots of hrs available Cons- Even if you’re part time you’re full time. Be prepared to be called every time you get a day off- When it’s busy expect no real support from the higher ups- Always short staffed and will have you work everywhere with no extra pay for it

run and hide

Until they get a new CEO and President that isn't just a Clone of who they have now, I wouldn't go near that company. What was once a great job is now something to stay away from. the moral in the stores is terrible and cooperate does not care at all.

Very flexible

Very flexible hours, great for students at university. However, they are currently cutting a great amount of hours. They pay isn't great but for most who work there, they don't mind.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

pay

work

I had fun tasks at work. i learned how too be polite and courteous too the customers, The manager was awesome. the hardest part of the job was too push the carts and getting in everyone's way. the most enjoyable part of the job was on break.

Cool place for teens

The work wasn't bad, and it was a good way to make some extra money. You made a lot of friends on the job. The only stressful part was when the customer would get mad about not putting the right products in the right bags.

Decent work place and nice environment

Hyvee makes everyone feel at home. I think even as employees it feels like working around and with family. Great job for students as well as adults and elderly.

Great pay for a grocery store

Pay is great, management is horrible. Expect you to overwork yourself. Decent benefits. The overall culture is depressing. No one enjoys their job anymore.

Is it not that great

I mean when you’re in high school it’s okay. But when you wanna pay bills, not so much.Management doesn’t listen to concerns and sometimes they don’t hire people worth much.

Energized workplace great coworkers

I can’t say enough about my coworkers and managers. They care about the customers and the store (1439 in New Hope) doing their best to ensure the best shopping experience for all. Problems:retaining good front store workers,Having a structured schedule for pay raises and commitment to talented managers and workers.

Great place to work and flexible

This job lets you sign up for your own shifts on an app with no set schedule, giving you the work-life balance to make plans outside of work. Very very flexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Vee, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits