Dollar General

Dollar General Employee Reviews

Found 32,774 reviews matching the searchSee all 32,781 reviews

nice people with a great work environment

Working for dollar general is really nice its a nice laid back job that's easy to do but the only problem is the hours there extremely short if you work part time.

Pros

Good environment

Cons

no benefits

Fun

Hard work and nice work environment the managers and District managers always helped and was always one call away you have to be willing to work and be dedicated

Quick move up

Only because they're terrible to their store managers. No sick time. No real time off. No work life balance whatsoever. And they will blame you and say that you control that with hiring. Even tho you can't hire because of the pay/ hour situation

Short staffed ,

I enjoyed working here for 9 months. but they have unrealistic quotas that have to be met,and being extremely short staffed made the quota even harder to meet, and if you don’t meet the quota you will either be forced to move to another department or walked out. I was given the opportunity to move to Recycling but I decided that’s not for me so I decided to resign. It seems to be that a lot of people are unhappy due to short staffing and are quitting and the new hires are not lasting very long either. Idk what the deal is there. Also, if you work weekends 6-630p you will rarely get full hours. You more than likely will leave at 430.

Pros

Occasionally free gifts, food, good pay

Cons

Not full time hours, must pick up once a week.

Hectic

Need more worker need more workers I think other than that they need to may a lotttt better than they do and they also need more work to life balance

Good place to work at.

Good place to work at. Fun customer service but stressful at times. Not many hours. But paid weekly. Strict management but still fair and understanding work environment.

Pros

Paid weekly

Cons

Less hours

Working 16 hour shifts

I worked very long shifts sometimes 16 hours. The mental stress and anxiety can never be measured. Staffing power is 0, you have to go by how many hours in your weekly budget. There was never enough staff in the building because this problem.

Pros

If your are a Casher or an Assistance Manager you could have a life..

Cons

You will need to work 16 hours days, You will have no home life, You will not believe the stress and extreme pressure put on you.

Don't get sick

Don't get sick and miss too many shifts, they will let you go and put you down as not re-hireable.I liked working there but once I got sick and missed a few of my shifts they let me go.

Do not work here

It’s a waste of your time and energy. You’ll be stuck at the same position as you started. The management was terrible. Also coworkers were always looking out for themselves

Its ok

Not that bad of a job. Some customers make it hard but my manager is great and a very kind person. Some days good and some days are bad. We have a great items.

Pros

Good coworker

Cons

Short breaks

Waste of time you got fast-food starting off than dollars general

Bad management , underpaid ,take advantage of , lazy workers , aisle always empty because don’t wanna stock when they have a backroom full of items not all of them just a few stores

Pros

Cons

Bad management

Bad work place don’t work here

The job sucks. They don’t care about there people. You can’t trust management. And there’s no room for advancement. Only if your one of the picks will you move up.

Pros

No pros

Cons

The whole job

Overwhelmed

This job is very frustrating and tiresome. You can never seem to advance or get promoted. You have a family emergency that was unexpected you have to call around yourself to get a coworker to cover your shift. If it’s a family emergency it’s no way that you have time for all that.

Pass on this place it's horrible!

This company is so horribly run that they can't keep good employees. I saw the revolving door every day at this place! I was genuinely floored at how many people came and gone in my tenure there. You sign up for 4 10-hour days and are often told you are mandated to work 10 or 20 hours more for the week! The place is so badly slotted for the selectors it is hard to do your job right without complications! The best part is they are way behind industry standards for paying employees, overworked underpaid is never a good combo for a work environment!I would not encourage anybody reading this to work there!

Pros

really easy answer NONE!!!!

Cons

Horrible pay and long work weeks mandated 50 to 60 hour weeks!

Great job

This job was okay it was a new store that I started working in and it was great but pay was not very good at the time. If you apply here just stay focused and energized

Horrible..

Never had time to myself or family. Worked from 6am to 10pm about 4 days in a ow from being short staffed. Barely received help from upper management even when I asked for help when it was myself and 2 other employees left. When i did decide to leave I got treated like I was nothing and was told I would be put as unrehireable even after working there for 4 years and had given my entire attention to them. Missed several family dinners, time with my husband who worked out of town during that time frame. This job makes you hate everything.

Hard working

It depends...but this store will run you dry if you let them...or if your store is not in order...at least at the store I work at there is no structure and we are running in autopilot off a day by day basis...Managers are nice people but if they slack or anyone slacks the store and workload gets affected..Its a lot easier than Walmart but requires more structure and upkeep as it is smaller..especially without a team..if your store does not have one

Pros

Small store

Cons

Prone to Neglect, Easy to slack off(Manager and Employee)

Steer clear!

10/10 would NOT recommend. You are not seen as a valued employee and will not be compensated fairly. SMs and DMs will tell you exactly what you want to hear to keep you yet won’t actually keep their word or fulfillment’s. Hard work does not get you any sort of advancement or recognition from this company. Don’t make my mistake, you’re family and mental health are worth much more than this deadend job.

Horrifying work environment

Horrifying experience, incompetent company policies, terrible upper management and irresponsible freight scheduling at best. An actual danger to employees AND consumers.

No work life balance, extremely low payroll

Expectation of working 6 days per week. Will often work unplanned double shifts. There’s is pretty good support from District Management. However, they are also managing a tremendous workload

Good place

Dollar general is a good place to work especially if you are just starting out or getting on your feet. We were one big family and this will forever be my favorite job

Pros

great people

Cons

poor pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits