Cracker Barrel

Cracker Barrel Employee Reviews

Found 13,054 reviews matching the searchSee all 13,055 reviews

Alright place to work, mostly amazing coworkers, lackluster management

If the management would of cracked down on lazy selfish employees instead of putting more work on the ones who actually did their work it would of been a much more enjoyable workplace. The only real upside is that other then the few lazy coworkers you might have most coworkers you'll have will be amazing and genuinely helpful people.

Pros

Mostly great coworkers

Cons

Management unwilling to discipline lazy workers

The only thing I did not like about working here was the pay I was getting. But other than that it is a nice enviroment to be in and the people you would be working with are very nice, and very helpful.

good entry level serving job.

Not the best but not the worst place to work. A lot of drama sometimes but mainly everyone is fun. Most management is good. Overall not a bad job and the money can be decent.

Loved it!

The regulars really make the job fun! I worked here for over 5 years and management was so supportive and flexible while I was in school and my coworkers were the best. I’ve moved on to bigger and better things but I miss my store dearly!

Fast pace Workplace

Cracker Barrel is a great company, but definitely has issues with work life balance. Always something new to measure and has a high focus on metrics. Restaurant va retail can become catty.

Warning

Take Warning! They advertise positions daily and when hired they'll say they have no hours. You won't be able to plan finances for a family with the inconsistency here.

Good first job

My time at CB was short, but coworkers were all very sweet and willing to help. The managers are all super friendly and understanding of your schedule. The only bad side was that sometimes guest were mean, but that happened rarely. Being a host Sat./Sun. means you’ll probably be busy.

Fun and interesting job with scheduling issues

I LOVED working here. Amazing people, great work. The only job I was actually excited to go to. I was forced to leave when they began scheduling me 40+ hrs a week on top of being a full time high school student. I was failing my classes and when I met w/managers, they said they'd lower hrs, but just for finals week. I once tried to call in to catch up on hmwrk, was told it "wasn't a good excuse". Not a good job for students, but if you're looking for a career, 1000% choose this. Other than scheduling issues they are amazing. :)

Not a happy place to work

No matter what time I had to go in, I would always dread going in. Every shift I was either getting fussed at by different employees who weren't management, thinking they were or customers yelling at me for stuff I had nothing to do with. The older employees that worked there could never agree on a single thing, everyone had a different opinion about something. No rules were ever being followed, and the young people were the only ones that ever got in trouble. If you weren't young or new, you could get by with just about anything. Management themselves had favorites and it always showed. For so many managers, they don't communicate much. The overall culture there was toxic, there was always some type of drama going on. The only time when I was at peace while being there was when I was off on my own, where I couldn't get yelled at by workers and customers, or the times we might have a small party in the back. Other than those two things I don't think there was any enjoyable part of working there, I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Pros

Discount on food and gift shop, Made some good friends there

Cons

Customers, coworkers, everything just about

Good hours, good pay, poor environment

Cracker barrel is a good place to work if you don't plan to invest in the company. They'll chase away good employees, by letting the bad ones get away with being late, not doing side work or restocking, and basically doing whatever they want because they're desperate for warm bodies, while the people who are actually worth keeping are actually held accountable, and overworked until they quit.

Amazing company

Clear directions, competitive pay and room for advancement. Work life balance not great but that the restaurant business for you. Have the guest and employee best interest at heart an you will be fine

Hit or miss

There’s a revolving door of managers. Sometimes they’re really great and other times they’re absolutely awful. Cracker Barrel doesn’t really care who they hire so they won’t fire anyone for sucking at their job. They know they can snap their fingers and hire 10 more people right behind you. This job has its highlights but the company couldn’t care less about you.

not a great place

I liked working here at first when I was younger. But then as a minor I started getting 40 hour work weeks while trying to graduate high school. I moved to serving and it was good money dont get me wrong, but the management was terrible.

Pros

great people

Cons

terrible management terrible scheduling not flexible

Learning a lot

Seems like a decent place. Friendly staff MOSTLY. Looking forward to a good opportunity. Could be cleaner in the back. But I'm ready to see some cash flow!

It was a good place to work. The only thing I did not like was that as a server carrying around a tray 24/7 was more in the way than helpful. Besides that they had a wonderful training program.

Bad experience with a bad store.

I’m sure that the rest of the company is not like what I experienced, as before I left we had a few transfers who started making things a bit better. However, my experience there was worse than highschool when it came to interpersonal drama and poor management made it all the worse. I never felt like I knew what I was supposed to do, as when I Was told to do something specific, I would be called away from the task and put elsewhere while the task either got ignored or pushed onto someone else. The only sense of team I experienced was when I was on shift with others who wanted to be a team. Otherwise, the managers would all sit in the office and chat amongst themselves all while teenagers ran their store. I will say, they were very understanding of my physical disabilities and would Sometimes accommodate by giving me a stool that I was only allowed to sit on when customers where not inside the store.

Fun but pay didn’t cut it

Very flexible and good place to work for high school student. Management changes a lot and were pretty helpful. PAR Training is how you get raises and laid back at times with rushes on the weekend

Ok

worked at a busy location in florida which did allow for the opportunity to make decent money as a server. It is a food industry job though so you know how those go

Decent pay but needy management

The pay here is pretty decent if you’re a cook. I left making $16.10 having prep/backup/grill shifts. They always wanted to give me more hours as well, so if you’re into that, it’s an option. Some of the people there are working doubles five days a week, and they will feel they are better than you for it to. If you get into a position where you aren’t at the forefront of other employees or guests, you will have a better time. I recommend backup or prep. Front of the house staff don’t really make much to be worth your time. <$15 But I don’t have any specific numbers for you. The server staff is very demanding but also lazy and I think they may be on drugs. Definitely potential to make money serving, but you have to deal with a lot. Grumpy cooks and lazy co-workers. My advice for any position is just to do your assigned work for the day and get out of there. Don’t do anyone favors and try to fly under the radar.

There is no work life balance

The company is straying far from the employee experience that it was once proud of. They care more for the profit they earn than how the employees are treated.

Easygoing but dramafilled

They lied to all employees about free food but told us later on they took it out of out checks. Very unfair treatment among employees from managers. Lazy manager. Compared to other places you could work the pay isnt all that good. I started out making 10 and was there a year and quit making 10.45$ an hour. They lied about saying you get a raise every-time you par up. Besides that 99% of the employees all love each other and its like a family among the employees.

Pros

Honestly nothing

Cons

No breaks unless you work at least 8-9 hours no matter how old you are, no free food, stay late after close, broken promises and lies about food, raises ect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cracker Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits