Big Lots

Big Lots Employee Reviews

Showing all 7,651 reviews

productive and easy

a good part time job. i work in the furniture department, so i learned how to sale. the hardest part of the job is adapting to the scheduling. overall the workplace is good.

Typical garbage retail job

Managers were worthless, customers were entitled, only decent people in the store were some of the coworkers. Everything you would expect from a typical retail position.

Meh

When I worked there, the building was falling apart and the higher ups treated long time workers terribly. There were different rules for salaried people versus 15+ years employees that were full time. It was awful and I was salaried, but it was hard to watch. I ran, but they have new offices and leadership so it may be better.

Depends on management

Overall it’s simple work. If you’re a manager it’s stressful and the pay is almost non existent. I recommend you go in with a high number and you can always negotiate. I was hired thru a friend. Started out part time seasonal stocking. Then was promoted to the warehouse lead within a few months. Then when I got pregnant I got the service lead position. Pay is terrible but benefits are good. PTO, maternity leave, sick pay, holiday pay, quarterly bonuses, etc. The new furniture lead makes 5 something more an hour than I do and I do about 10 times more work than her and I’ve been there 3 years. She just started. That just goes to show you how loyal they are to the people that bust their tails for them.

Pros

When I started the management was awesome

Cons

New management is hard to deal with, ac hardly works so it’s way too hotin there

Lack of hours and lack of appreciation for associates

They tell you 1 schedule & hours at hire & it's lowered after hire, mgnt is totally unappreciative of workers, customers are rude! Wouldn't recommend

Pros

Some associates are nice to work with

Cons

Lack of hours & low pay & associates are made to do 3 job descriptions but only paid for 1

This company takes care of the employees

I love this company and they always take care of the employees. During the height of the pandemic they gave everyone a 2 raise. After we were hit with a hurricane they paid me for a month even though I didn't work. Corporate really cares about everyone in the company. It's my second family.

Great work environment

I only worked part-time, seasonal as a 2nd job for extra money. Great place to work. Flexible work schedule. Mangers were great. You could take off, preferably before schedules went.

Pros

Paid weekly

Cons

Fun place to work, great employer and Personnel work together.

I enjoyed working with the staff and my boss was understanding when I needed to take a day off for Doctor Appts. I enjoyed talking to the customers. Great Company to work for.

Nice people, low pay

Theyre really flexible with hours and the work is easy. The pay is not livable if you have a family. Have only dealt with one weird manager that was tolerable.

Overworked and underpaying

Staff was always great, managers were cool but the workload was always too high and understaffed. Couple that with underpayed employees and its a recipe for disaster

No room for advancement

Bad hours, little pay, bad managers, some rude some ok, but customers were the worst...absolutely no security despite people always walking out with merchandise and closing late

Sometimes Fun.

I loved working here, sometimes. They do love to overwork people and not pay them enough. The managers are really nice! Although the customers feel like they can push you around because you work at a discount store.

Stay away from this company is not a suitable place to work

Not paid fairly for the work performed. Moral for the employees was always so low. You work hard unloading trucks all day and are not respected for the work performed.

Great place to work if your getting hours

I just didn't like how my hours drop down to 9 hrs per week. Gas is to high to only get 9 hrs that's gas money not a pay check. I will admit co workers and consumers were very friendly I like working there

Fun place to work. Discounts are good.

I like working there . The discounts are good. Hours are flexible. Fun people to work with. The pay could be better. Management are all fair. The furniture is always 30 percent off.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Management could be better

Easy and laid back if you can deal with customers.

I worked in furniture, selling furniture and credit lines. I also unloaded the furniture truck and Organized the warehouse. My warehouse in specific was smaller than others and had to tightly pack all of them together.

Discount

The pay sucks...no way can you afford rent, gas n groceries on their salary. Hours are sporadic....no kudos if you do a good job, management has no time for the employees.

Pros

Employees discount

Cons

Health care

Great and amazing

I used to work at big lots and I had the best experience every one of the employees were super friendly and I had a great understanding of my job it was a shame that I couldn’t stay there because it was only temporary and it was part time but given the chance I would be the happiest person alive if I had a full time position at big lots

Was ok

The job did not pay well. Met some great people. Management was ok but not great. Discounts were awesome! The job was easy and straightforward. Helped unload the truck a few times. That was fun. People were generally nice and the customers were usually nice.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

It’s retail

The Discount

Employee discount was great. I guess it’s pretty good. Store is all about management. Last manager at did not make it pleasant and is why I left. Otherwise I actually like the company and probably would have stayed.

Pros

Discount

Bad management

Management mistreats workers. The pay is not very good. Other employees are allowed to be lazy on the job. Management looks down upon workers with disabilities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits