Belk

Belk Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,867 reviews

Unorganized

Pre Covid it was a great place to work but after Covid everything hit the fan, constant employee and management turnover. Almost always short staffed. Under paid for what they ask of you.

No training

Be prepared to hit the ground running, because you will not be trained here. I was the Team Beauty Lead and I had 30 minutes of on-the-floor training before I was left on a busy Friday by myself most of the day. I did not know how to check out a customer, as I had less than a day of overall computer training. I did not know where any of the products were, and as far as they knew, I didn’t even know how to do makeup. There was no product knowledge given. No shadowing of another employee. Nothing! The store manager and the store leadership overall did not set me up for success. Furthermore, we did not have an alignment in values. When I worked for the company prior for 3 years (different store) we had a week or two of training before we left anyone in their department alone. I'm seeing this is common with many employers now. This isn't just a Belk thing. These billion-dollar companies don't have the hours to staff their stores and it comes at the expense of the employees and as a great disservice to the customer. Overall, the team was VERY nice! If only they had been nicely managed. And when I addressed my concerns with HR and the Store Manager I was not given any feedback, which would lead me to believe they valued me and wanted to train me.

Pros

Breakroom, housekeeping, and a legal plan.

Cons

Lack of training, unrealistic expectations, lack of leadership, and no water cooler. Fountain last filter change unknown.

Stressful

I will say that I enjoyed the time that I had at Belk, my only issue was the how much drama and chaos I would have to deal with at work. Management is lazy and pushes tasks off to others, it was like high school all over again with the drama, and co-workers were disrespectful to others and to managers.

Pros

Hour lunches, Friends, Good pay, Flexible

Cons

Lazy Management, Disgusting Environment, Disrespectful

What is the best part of working at the company?The job it's self is a good jobWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The management was expectant without giving equally. I worked there for a little over 2 yrs only missed less than 5 days and was never late did any job ask from cleaning the bathrooms to working any position on the floor and watched other employees get raises and promotions while I was never given even a review much less a raise and their reason was because I wasn't getting at least three credit card applications a day if you don't do that you can't get a raise at least they use that as an excuse for not giving you a raiseWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Like working anywhere else you have those that you get along with really well and those that you tolerate

it’s ok

it was ok .. it’s a retail job. management is rough. low pay, raises are hard to come by. Discount is ok, they expect employees to go above and beyond for very little in return

Overworked! Horrible Management

Worked there while still in college and it was awful. Despite saying I was only able to work part time, they had me working nearly 40 hours a week on top of my school life. They would deny my time off requests despite me putting it well ahead of time. There was one time they scheduled me to work during the time I said I would have my final exam. I called them that morning to let them know I couldn't work at that time, but I could come in later, they got mad at me for it. They also kept asking me to open my availability and when I told them I couldn't due to school, they threatened that I would lose my job. There was even one time when they purposely didn't schedule me for an entire two weeks! When I brought it up to my manager, they didn't even care other than that I wasn't scheduled for a big sale day and asked if I could come in on that day. Terrible management and HR department!

Productive & good teamwork

My experience at Belk's was great. I worked with great co-workers, had a flexible schedule to work with as a part time employee,and the job has really great benefits.

What is the best part of working at the company?The other employees customers What is the most stressful part about working at the company?When customers coupons don’t work and you have to get a supervisor What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Work environment and culture was good What is a typical day like for you at the company?Opening up your registers making sure your department is ready for the customer

Active working environment

Active working environment. a lot f external theft activity. A lot of micro-managing from the store side. Focused mainly on increasing sales. Estranged LP Management

Terrible Management

Expected to reach sales goal for my cosmetics line- but daily sent to help in other departments- not a fair chance to reach goal. Management was rude and treated us like we were just a number. Schedule was never given on time and we were given 4 hour shifts? No inventory at all but chastised for not making a sale when we had literally no stock.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Belk?

What is the best part of working at the company?Management has your back no matter what the situation. They will defend you against unruly customers.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The long hours on my feet, it has caused physical problems. Unruly customers. Must take their rude attitudes.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It is fair and management is very helpful.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Long hours. Some rude customers. Some very nice. Not every day is the same.

Stressful

Management micro manages its employees. There is so many things to be done and can be if management wouldn’t try to control everyone’s position. The job is easy and most employees are friendly and easy to get along with. I believe everyone who works at this store besides a a handful of management and leads are disgusted. You’re constantly redirected from your work duties daily. You’re told you’re going to be placed in a position and then pulled to do something else all the time. There is no reason for that in a work atmosphere. No one wants to work somewhere every day and try to love their job by being micromanaged constantly. Cooperate needs to access the management that’s responsible for this store. Talk to employees and they will spill. Employment rates are down? Cooperate needs to look into that. There’s a reason! I’ve seen good workers leave and I’ve seen workers who have been hired to be trained or for a position and be pulled in other directions. That gives no one a chance to do their job or learn it and excel in it. Mangers here are the royalty of the castle and all other employees are just the minions is how I see it.

Not enough pay for what they want from you

Coworkers are amazing. Management and store manager have unrealistic goals & treat you very poorly. They don’t want you to put items in correct spot but would rather you just throw it anywhere

What is the best part of working at the company?Discounts and seeing inventory firstWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Unrealistic expectations and time frames with limited staff and hoursWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Fast pacedWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Leading the team with unloading all freight from trucks and tagging and sorting them.

Great place

Love the employees and everyone is so nice. Can be slow sometimes and you can’t sit down so be ready to stay on your feet. Overall great place to work

Overwhelming

Not enough employees to maintain the workload. Everyone wants to quit due to how we are treated by customers. The place is a mess and there are not enough of us to properly recover the sales floor. Store management is feeling the stress as well. We are all overworked and corporate doesn't care.

The job itself is fine lots of hard work but not rewarded

Heavy workload which is fine but not much room for advancement and pay is terrible. Good retail experience but not good for a career. Worked hard and not always appreciated while others do bare minimum.

Great Start

There were highs and lows at Belk. I appreciate the opportunity to work my first job. The workers were friendly and helpful. Management not so much. It was not a bad environment during my time.

Retail sucks sometimes

The company Belk in general is okay to work for; It’s when you have terrible management that everybody is going to leave bad reviews for. You get a lot of older people in Belk and sometimes they’re very rude.

Complicated

I’ve been shopping at belk for awhile now and most of the employees seem nice to help; but I’ve seen some employees use foul language about another employee who’s been trying her hardest as what I could see and no one should treat them like that at all. Belk is a nice place but for me I would not work there to be treated bad.

Pros

Hour lunch

Cons

Getting treated horribly, management not taking care of problems, not enough help, rude employees

Fast pace and good place to work

Enjoyed my time at belk, great people to work with and for. Loved the relations with my customers and fellow associates. Always something new and changing so no boring times

Pros

Customer interactions, employee discount

Cons

Work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits