Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 744 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,205 reviews

Fun workplace

Fun and you can learn a lot of things. You can meet different types of customers and you can interact with them face to face. They always have a hurdle that can you develop you grow personally and professionally.

Pros

Fun

it can be a gratifying job but the Westlake corporate culture is horrible. I don’t know any adult who is genuinely happy to work there.

Pay is pathetic. Stores are understaffed because corporate won’t pay a competitive wage to attract and keep good workers. Core values are merely lip service. Upper management has largely lost touch with what it takes to create a positive work environment.

Pros

Employee discount.

Cons

Most good employees are underpaid. Raises are shameful.

Laid Back Work enviorment

The job was awesome. Laid back work environment with a supportive staff. The Ace I worked at was family owned so there was not any upward motion. One hour lunch breaks where awesome, but it kinda drug the work day out.

Pros

easy job

Cons

no room for advancement

Best job ever

This was the most wonderful employment experience! Great people, great training, great environment, and very systematic. I am retired Army and this is "the only job" that I ever held that I jumped out of bed in the morning to go to work! The management was amazing! The Floor Supervisor was extremely knowledgeable and was a great encourager. My other retail counter parts were so helpful and very very knowledgeable. I was super amazed at the length of tenure of 98% of the staff... 20+ years! All of them. I only left due to personal reasons and life event. Very proud to have worked here!

Good coworkers, horrible management, not good enough pay, no support, barely any good enough benefits

When I first started working here, everything was good. People actually care for another, work wasnt hard and it was an easy flow. But that all changed. Management basically did a 180 saying that they cared but they dont. They only thing that they care is how much money they can have and how much they push the employees around to the point they quit. They expect me to drop my life for them. Its sad really but it is what it is.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

No support, bad management, bad benefits

Great Environment but iffy Management

Management seemingly holds you back, and there is not much room to grow. The culture with the other members of the staff however is fantastic and very enjoyable. Wages could be better but not the worst.

Pros

Great Work Environment

Cons

Poor upper management

The best place to work

Worked at my local Ace from high school until college. Friendly management who would rather sit with you and help you learn about the products in the store rather than berate you about not knowing enough. You get to assemble all types of grills , mowers, and power tools. At my location they were very open to my scheduling and allowing me time off when needed. You will find yourself growing attached to your regular customers and enjoy finding them the right fittings for their plumbing job or the perfect bird seed mix for their backyard. Ace really is a wonderful place to work I would recommend this place to anyone.

Pros

great management, work/life balance, cool customers, product knowledge gained

Cons

no benefits, literally nothing else

Minimum wage customer service and little room for advancement, if any.

Working for Ace would be much better if the pay was at least competitive. Management asks for "legendary customer service" but offers decidedly mediocre compensation. A typical days work is centered around helping customers shop and with stocking. Management is usually good about helping in these areas, but lack in actual management skills. In my experience most were pretty lazy. Best part of the job were the coworkers. Worst part has to be the low wages. If an Ace in your area is offering more than average, it's not a terrible place to work, but I wouldn't go back after putting in 4+ years.

Pros

Employee discount, part time or full time.

Cons

Low wages, incompetent management and corporate.

Fun and flexible schedule

Good people, flexible with schedule, decent pay. Started off as a high school senior and worked until my junior year of college. They’re very flexible with schedules and I had some great managers and built friendships with them.

Very productive and a lot of learning.

I have a great experienced and very happy with my co employee and AHPI taught me of different strategies about business operations and it's objectives.

Was great at first, then it went downhill.

When I got hired on, it was great. I worked with great people and we all had a bond. But be warned, it’s almost nothing like that now. They throw you into the job with little to no training and honestly the people there are not that great. There are some people there who are awesome to work with but most, not so much. They can be understanding when it comes to days off or flexibility, but be warned, it comes with a lot of smack talk from management. They also don’t really care about the situation employees may be in. They always assume that you just don’t want to work, or how soon you can come back to work. Not only that but the rodent issue at the store is just awful. Our breaks during the week are great. You got a 1 hour lunch if you work over 6-7 hours, but on the weekend, when you work close to 10 hours, you only get 30 minutes. Also the pay sucks for what employees do and they don’t pay the people who have been there a long time, a decent amount. Most people who get hired on, get paid more or very close to people who have been there for years. Don’t even get me started on the rats and flies. They are infested with them. They put baits and traps but they don’t work that well. The flies are huge and just fly into your hair and eyes. Overall it’s a good job for a couple of months or maybe during high school, if you want to work a few days a week but not long term.

Pros

Flexibility, hours

Cons

Short breaks on weekends, pay, gossip, rats and flies

A job with no place for personal connections

Good place to work if you don't mind the unethical spying and not being personal with coworkers. The hours of operation are a good fit for anyone with outside interests.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Limited staff, unethical practices

First real job in highschool

Ace Hardware is not the type of company I can write a single review for. Each location is independently managed, so I can say that the Ace in Saratoga, CA was a great place to work at. Amazing manager, regular 8 hour shifts with rare overtime, and a lot to learn for a kid in high school.

Awesome place Awesome people

A great place to work my co workers and manager are wonderful and very helpful learning a lot each day I am very helpful with the customers and I enjoy them

Franchise stores, anything goes for personell.

Working for an individual store can be a lottery for who you work with. This was exclusive and prejudiced in my case. Your store management team can be anyone, and no HR information was made readily available to employees.

Pros

Learn basics of hardware products

Cons

Crapshoot for employee rights, selling hazardous equipment without proper safety training

Manager and staff were all very supportive and welcoming. Compensation was low, as to be expected in a retail job. Always enjoyed helping customers solve problems.

They don’t like giving hours

They will give you good hours for a few months and after hiring new people they will tend to favor them more and give them more hours. And when you ask for more hours they let go. And i am not the only good employee this has happened to.

Overall a good place to work

Overall a good place to work. There was always something to learn and someone needing help which gave a great sense of self worth. Very understanding about school schedules.

Terrible place to work

Very poor pay, management was horrible, over expectations for under pay. I would not recommend working here to anyone, by far the worst job experience I’ve ever had. Avoid at all cost.

Pros

Cons

no benefits, horrible pay, terrible management

Fast paced

The customers made the job worse than it was. Distribution issues that are completely out of your control becomes your problem because the customer needs it “right now.”

Pros

Free lunch on Saturdays weekly pay

Cons

Retail Customers

It’s retail

This is a retail position in which I work. They’re a nothing graceful about it. Pay is low, no benefits even though full time. Each business is independently franchised.

2.1K