Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

Found 369 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,205 reviews

- busy working environment - learned to be focus and accurate in handling money - ok management - typical work culture - to be able to train new hires

Family like atmosphere

All of the coworkers were really friendly and the manager worked with my school schedule and made it easier to where I could take days off to see my family.

Understaffed and overworked.

I was hired on during the pandemic last year and now we are threatened with “cleaning house” everyday. They fire half the staff before they can hire new staff.

Pros

Cons

No job security

Great for customers, okay for workers

Large variety of products for sale and knowledgeable clerks around to answer any questions you may have. As a cashier, I was not taught about all the different products for sale. It was clear my job was to sell the merch, and management didn't make that difficult for me. But they often made decisions that when followed made things harder for the employees to perform up to their standards, like sending a cashier home early during a Saturday afternoon rush. The store was not well organized, likely because of other employees. There also seemed to be a lack of respect in management for cashiers and/or young people, because the younger cashiers were responsible for cleaning the store. Not sure if this is standard practice or not; it was my first job. Regardless, the store never felt clean to me, probably because they only ever had people dust, sweep, vacuum, and remove the trash. Also no paid breaks, regardless of part/full time work.

good coworkers

you establish a close relationship with your coworkers, and sometimes customers too since we get a lot of repeats. Management gives out gift cards every month to certain departments so thats a bonus!

Great Management!

It's a great starting job and the management is very caring and understanding. If you want to start working immediately though, that might be a problem. HR isn't the best at getting people in.

Pros

Workplace experience

Cons

Short breaks

Productive, fun and exciting

I really liked my experience working here but sadly I had to quit, but kind of glad; couple of toxic coworkers I wouldn't want to work with anymore. They were the 2 favorites of the staff that would get let off easily.

Pros

Radios to contact any coworkers; new thing every day.

Cons

30 min lunch but nothing other than that

Great Place To Work

Don't really have any complaints. Everyone is great including management. Customers are friendly and environment is awesome! I really enjoyed working here.

A lot of worker turn arounds.

It’s what you make of it. Absolutely no raises given after 4 years. 39.5 hour work week only allowed- anything over would allow us to qualify for benefits but again, not allowed.

Fast paced with great perks

I genuinely love being employed at ace. There are days when you feel like you’re not getting recognized for your hard work but the store manager tends to take time out of his day to pull you aside and commend you for a job well done. Everyone for the most part gets along well, essentially we’re one big family. The communication needs a little work so that’s my biggest issue. The pay is good, getting a raise isn’t impossible but only if you show you’re deserving of one, and the benefits of being employed here are great!

Pros

Pay, advancement in the company

Cons

Communication between coworkers

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ace Hardware?

Awesome place to work

I loved working at Ace. It's a great place to learn new skills. A very good part time job and if you were in a position to it would be a great full time job as well.

Ok place to work at

It’s ok , job is pretty chill for the most part workers are nice and make you feel included to an extent. But place overall lacks any sort of diversity

Can be tiring depending on who the owners are

Honestly speaking the store I work at treats the employees well however, the other employees tend to slack off or just are generally unknowledgeable in some of the departments of the store, and again its from owner to owner so it can be somewhat difficult to pin this all on ace hardware as a company in general

Pros

tends to have free lunches on the weekend

Cons

tends to underpay you for your time

Good job if wanting to work in retail

Working here as a cashier and customer coordinator was much more enjoyable than other places of worth within retail. Coworkers are nice and friendly people and the customers are (mostly) the same. Recommend for students of both high school and college.

Great team, individually owned

Ace Hardware is different due to them being individually owned. They have great teams, but understaffed, & place much on mgmt, & are bound by owners.

Pros

Team management

Cons

Management being bound by the owners

Doesn’t pay enough

For the most part I enjoy my coworkers. I pretty much go to work just to hang out with them. The money could be better for the required expectations of the job.

Mark's Ace Hardware: Productive, fast paced, good team, growing management

Because all Ace's are owned separately, the team culture and customer base are always going to be different.At Mark's Ace, I had a great experience with the team, they're very supportive. Even during busy times, the leads and store managers were always helpful in answering questions about customer requests and navigating the point-of-sale system. The floor associates would always try their best to help the cashiers with lending extra hands or back-up. There'd be the occasional unresponsive team member, but understandably, they don't usually last long because it IS hard work. (i.e. this isn't a calm, low effort retail job) The store management try their best to support the team, especially when you get a rude customer. (There are a loooot of grouchy old people.) If you're being abused by a customer or need back-up with a suspicious person, they'll immediately step in if they see it or you call them over. Word of warning, there ARE sketchy people who wander into the store, especially during the summer. The Wetmore location specifically has the river wash behind it, so crackheads wander in all the time. They do have a protocol for the cashiers and the rest of the team when it happens, usually one of the male floor associates takes care of it. But it would be best if they had a store security guard on duty. If that sounds more intense than you want to deal with, I definitely would recommend their Ina or Campbell locations instead. Larger stores, more employees, less crackheads.

Pros

Team support, shift options, never bored, learn a lot of extra, trained skills in home improvement

Cons

Rude customers, sketchy characters, not a lot of pay increase

Fun and get to learn new things daily

I loved working at Ace. I know management varies but I was extremely lucky with the owners and managers at the store I worked at! I loved getting to learn new things daily and there is always something to be doing so you never get bored! Pay was decent and I got to work as many hours up to 40 as I wanted which I really liked.

Management Deceptive

It is seasonal work which they tell you could become a full time position which there is no intention of hire full time after 3 months they cut hours.

Pros

Cons

Deceptive

management works as hard as we do

The management is stellar they work just as hard if not harder than we do. They are very compassionate and understanding. You feel good working for them because if it.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Short breaks healthcare

Super nice co-workers and managers

Every day was different for me. Some days I'd work the register where others I'd drive the forklift to unload trucks. I never knew what it was going to be so I hardly ever got bored.

Pros

flexible hours, nice people

Cons

almost no benefits

2.1K