Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Found 283 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,205 reviews

group activties during special events

Keeps register area neat and stocked with necessary supplies. Assists in other areas of store, such as clean-up, shelf-stocking, or keeping merchandise displayed in an orderly manner. Enters purchases into cash register to calculate total purchase price

Pros

staff meal discount and discount card

Cons

8 hrsduty with overtime

Friendly Work environemnt

Working there was good at most times, you have the opportunities to do different tasks throughout the day. Working there has also taught me different skills and understandings about the products and services that we sell.

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly environment

Cons

Hard to grow

Average cashier experience

The work itself is not much fun, customer service as a cashier who deals with rude customers very frequently. However, the people at this store are wonderful to work with. I learned a lot about working and dealing with people as a cashier here. Working at this ACE Hardware, it is expected to be hardworking and efficient. Also, the store allows animals, which always brightened my day at work seeing dogs and giving them treats. However, one thing I learned was to be assertive about your pay or you will not be given a pay raise.

Pros

Inclusive holiday activities, dogs, amazing management

Cons

Strict boss

Difficult, frustrating place to exist

Superiors will get on your case for simple mistakes, calls for help on the radio go unanswered, and training is almost nonexistent. I have been ordered to unsafely reorganize sharp metal shelving materials, told I can’t go on my break unless I find certain product, and I was fired without reason. Don’t work here unless you are prepared for experiencing events like this every single day.

Pros

Slightly above minimum wage pay

Cons

Zero benefits, lack of training, coworkers screaming into radios, spiteful management

Pretty Reliable Job

Its a standard hardware retail job. There will be stacking and stocking/organizing , as with any retail job. Cashiering should be very simple and straightforward. You’ll learn more about the store and products/product placement as you go. You may have to assemble products occasionally for display or customer request (barbecue grills, fire pits, smokers, chairs, benches etc.) Its pretty simple job for the most part-though it could get repetitive and boring from time to time. Pay starts at minimum wage and is biweekly depending on location or if your store is privately owned.

Pros

Straightforward Job

Cons

Breaks aren’t long enough

Excellent management and staff members.

I love working here at ACE. It gives one an amazing feeling when you can help someone find a product or simplify a project. Our management allows us to spend time with our customers. There is no high pressure sales. We want what is best for the guest! :) Nothing makes you more happy than to make others happy - this is the place. We have a great staff that supports each other even during stressful high volume days.

Pros

Great employee discount, fabulous staff! Stellar management and owners!

Cons

You actually have to work - this is a con for some. I enjoy it! :)

Okay company to work for.

Working at Ace Hardware is nice. It really depends on who owns the Ace Hardware. From management down feels like a family environment. Above management, not so much. They don’t even know your name. Nor do they even want to know your name!

Great work environment and opportunities to learn

I worked as a cashier and sales person and really enjoyed the job because of the amazing sense of community. The job itself was laid back but tasks always got done on time because of how well the coworkers got along. They were very supportive and fun to work with. Additionally I had tons of opportunities to learn new skills from things like fixing a toilet to the best time to seed a lawn. The only con was that the pay wasn't that great but if you're in a position to do so, the knowledge you'll come out of the job with makes up for it!

Pros

Great sense of community

Cons

Low pay

Laid Back and Comfortable workplace - a perfect first job

I’ve been with this company for a year. It’s had it’s ups and downs but it’s held a comfortable atmosphere. If the pay and progression was better I’d stay.

Pros

Easygoing staff, kind management

Cons

Little to no benefits, no room for advancement, little to no raises

Great people to work with

Workers and management are great. The customers are really nice and appreciate the help we give them. Flexible schedule and an understanding manager. Great place to work

Pros

People and discounts

Cons

Low pay, no opportunity for advancement

Minimum wage job with little opportunity for advancement. Hours were great in the beginning but soon dwindled. Good management, always there to help and listen. Never micromanaged. Fun place to work.

Pros

Great management team, team player mentality, 45 minute lunch

Cons

Lack of hours, minimal pay

The people were nice yet forget you easily due to high turnover.

I worked at Rocky's Ace Hardware and was quickly forgotten about due to the high turnover. This is because the pay is extremely low with the knowledge requirements of hardware being high. The employees who've been working for over a decade there and are masters of their crafts are still paid minimum wage.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Don't expect a good reference.

Great Employees, terrible customers

Working at crown ace hardware, ive always had a flexible schedule, the people I work with are almost always great, but the people we deal with on a daily basis are almost always either rude or completely incompetent.

Pros

flexible hours, great staff

Cons

the most rude people you will ever deal with.

Poor management

Depends on who you work with but it is just another soul sucking job in retail. If you're looking for something to improve your quality of life, this is most likely not a good fit. It feels very corporate.

Cons

Corporate

It’s fun but not really structured. I don’t feel like a team member I feel used.

It is a pretty good place to work very flexible but don’t think that you will be appreciated for what you do I get more appreciation from my fellow coworkers than the managers. If you ever want to know the owners don’t hold your breath they do not care about the location I work at only the other one. I feel like I’m doing 5 extra jobs and not being paid or respected for them.

Pros

Easy going manager.

Cons

Short breaks, No hope of a raise

Just ok

After working there through the pandemic, the worst part was upper managements inability to do their job without interpersonal issues getting in the way.

Plaster on a fake smile kids!

This is probably just my store but management is an utter mess. I work 2 jobs because they don't pay a living wage to their "full time" staff that works 39.5 hours a week. I've been at my store for a year and a half but they won't let me move up or pay me overtime. Also sexism is still a MAJOR issue at my store. Can't wait to leave and screw them over since I'm the only cashier that can work in the mornings.

Pros

They hire anyone

Cons

No OT, bad pay, sucky managers

I felt valued and respected as an Ace employee!

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Ace Hardware is very easy to obtain. I always felt supported by management!Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Ace Hardware are very good. It is great to take time off with accumulated days.Job security and advancementIn terms of job security at Ace Hardware, I think it is made aware to employees that they are important/ appreciated!ManagementIn general, managers at Ace Hardware are very professional and make clear the expectations of the job.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at Ace Hardware is quite important. You must communicate as the need occurs which is daily.OverallMy experience working at Ace Hardware was one that I consider enjoyable and I thoroughly enjoyed interacting with the customers and fellow employees.

Meh

You work too much for little pay. It is hard to advance. Coworkers are nice. It was a lot better before management changed drastically. I would say leave if you don't like your managers. They'll likely stick around.

There is better!

I am a high schooler and I had high hopes working at Ace. After a year of working there I realized that the benefits weren’t great, it was low pay, I could barely get days off. Management was full of lazy people who made most associates do all the work including their own. Training wasn’t too good either. Constantly yelled at for not being taught something.

Pros

Learning life experience tips

Cons

Management, scheduling, work ethic, low pay

Family owned business & very productive

I absolutely loved working at ace hardware. When I first got the job my training went well and they welcomed me as if I was family. After the getting the hang of the job everything went great.

Pros

45 minute lunch

Cons

healthcare

2.1K