Ace Hardware

Clear
3.0Salary & Benefits

Found 8 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,205 reviews

Good first job

A typical day at work would start with me clocking in and getting/counting my cashier drawer. Then, depending on where I was working in the store, I might do a variety of things. For example, if I was cashiering in the greenhouse for the day, I'd check on the plants and start watering (spring/summer season). If I was in the front of the store, I'd begin my day by helping clean the store or if it was stock day I'd unload and stock items in the barn room. Workplace culture was decent, I'd say everyone got along fairly well working together and you develop some great friendships. The most enjoyable part was helping/cashiering customers, they have a very loyal customer base that you get to know well. Management could be temperamental, and sometimes I'd do a lot of work and not get any recognition, which would've been nice every once in a while. There's also favoritism. Not really any opportunities for advancement, but you learn a lot. Did get a raise twice.

Pros

Always things to do, great customers, great co-workers

Cons

Employee appreciation, management

Toxic work environment

Ace (Concord, CA) is all about customer service (for profit), and cares nothing about most of the employees (who work hard each day). Long-term workers receive special treatment (favoritism). For all others, managers have unrealistic work demands & scold employees in front of customers for "failing" to achieve. High turnover of staff-- the "We are hiring" sign is always up. Low pay & extremely fast paced (hard work) every day !

Pros

1 hour lunch, health insurance available.

Cons

Low pay, unprofessional managers

Ace is the Place

Great place to work with awesome company owners. The hours and days off don't work well for me and thre benefits aren't great, but the pay is fair and I love my coworkers and the customers and seeing people I know.

Long Shifts w/ Poor Pay, Often just standing around

A typical day at work would start with walking around the store to make sure stock is fronted and such. That would usually only take about an hour or so. After that you pretty much spend most of your time waiting for customers to come in. Their really isn't much to do besides front stock and help customers. There are for sure dead hours where you're standing around just praying for something to do. The owner of the store wasn't good to his employees, always having an attitude and expecting his employees to know exactly what he's thinking all the time. Besides the owner, the rest of the management is very friendly. They are very flexible with your hours. Lunches aren't paid, forced to clock out for lunch. It's a very easy but extremely boring job.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

Poor treatment of employees, boring, unpaid lunches, poor pay

A job

This was a place for me to work a part-time job while my daughter attended school and to get my feet wet again after being a stay at home mom while I attended college.

Pros

n/a

Cons

no benefits, no breaks

Ace Hardware

Overall rating Job Work Life Balance Compensation Benefits Job Security Advancement Management Job Culture Management Co-workers

Love Customers

I have not ever worked in retail before until now. I enjoy being and interacting around others and makes me want to wake up in the morning.

Pros

401K given to full time employees

Cons

not able to go have breaks besides lunch

Fun and Interesting place to work

I would usually go to the cashier's box to take care of my responsibilities which include vaccuming the front rugs, helping put out the equipment, clean windows and sweep around our area. Then I would work on my aisles and stock shelves. If it was my day to clean the bathrooms I would do that at the beginning of my shift. After a while of working there, I learned how to make paint and how to cut keys. I learned how to help customers find what they needed in the store by memorizing everything and where it all goes. I would help customers with small home improvement problems and if i didn't know I could always ask one of my very knowledgeable co-workers. My co-workers and I became a family. We had company parties that the owner of the store would have at his house during the summer. We also had great Christmas parties and the owner was very generous. The hardest part of working at ace would be learning how to please customers that were upset or rude. The best part was hearing customer's interesting ideas and creative ways to make it happen. I loved walking around the store with a customer and finding random things that they would have never thought to use.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

no healthcare or benefits

2.1K