Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware Employee Reviews in Portland, OR

Portland, OR16 reviews

Found 16 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,253 reviews

Flexible schedule and supportive environment with the usual retail stressors.

Flexible schedule with long term employment opportunities. Supportive management. Fast paced during promotional periods. Gives back to the community. Team spirit.

Slow and Boring

The days are long and hard. There isn't much to do most of the days so you walk around the store waiting and trying to find something. Your hard work will not pay off because they do not have any raises and no room for growth within the company. I just wasted a year working here when i could have been growing in another company. Do not waste your time and go somewhere else!

Soul sucking

Don't expect anything crazy, it's just another corporate retail job where you're valued based on the time you can spend at the store rather than personal qualities and youll be treated like a machine.

Pros

Money

Cons

Everything else

Poor management

Depends on who you work with but it is just another soul sucking job in retail. If you're looking for something to improve your quality of life, this is most likely not a good fit. It feels very corporate.

Cons

Corporate

I loved my Job!

Everyday you got to help someone new! You felt like you made a difference and that you were always learning too. It was fun learning how to make Keys and Paint, every neat to understand.

Pros

New people

Cons

Covid-19

Fun environment with room to learn

Everybody is super fun to work with. Very strong bond with the community and neighbors.They give u lost of room to grow and learn.Having dogs in the store was a gmdig perk too

Good Workplace, Great Community

The community surrounding this store is great to work in, and the staff within the walls feels very much like a family. There's a lot of freedom here to take initiative and expand ones job description. Work/life balance can be difficult is you're dedicated as there is always more to do.

Pros

great people, freedom to expand your role

Cons

lack of affordable healthcare, wages lean towards the low end

Depends on the owner but..

Small business feeling with corporate coldness!! No HR, no recourse, the owner forbade us from talking about our wages (illegal) would NOT recommend. The best thing about this job is learning about hardware but it REALLY depends on where you are.

Fun place to work. Laughed a lot in the hardware store

I really enjoyed working for Ace and made some great friends there. Problem was the GM treated everyone. If an issue came up he would only go with story he was told first and blame the other without a discussion

na

It was a pretty relaxed place to work at, really great employees and customers. However lacking great management and running the store, it could of been far worse so i am thankful for the opportunity.

Bad Ownership

Company closed, no time to adequately search for new work.management was insufficient. the environment was unhealthy. staff were irresponsible. needed to be gone.

fun and laid back. But annoying on days

Besides being stuck on a computer and learn the dos and donts of working at ace. Co-workers help you more through out the store. Just people like to take their anger out on alot of people.

Pros

Cons

childish management, bullying of somewhat, and hard to smile when youre being nagged at alot.

Great Place to Work

I love working at Broadway Ace Hardware. The staff is wonderful, and the management really allowed me to make my own decisions and do what I felt needed to be done to make the store the best it could be. The store is beautiful, and the community really appreciates the store. I enjoyed my time working there.

Pros

Great working environment, good pay, benefits

Cons

Strange variety of customers in this part of town.

Nice, friendly workplace that has room for improvement.

As a former employee of this decently located Ace Hardware, I can say that it is definitely an okay place to start working and building your resume if you have no work experience. However, management and teamwork are definitely lacking and can use much improvement. Also, salary is something else that you should consider when applying for a position here, as living off of minimum wage is very difficult. Also, please be prepared for an inconsistent schedule that will make it difficult to have a normal lifestyle. Overall, Broadway Ace Hardware isn't a terrible working environment, but it needs improvement.

Pros

Friendly staff, Employee Discount, Product Learning Opportunies

Cons

Management, Organization, Teamwork

Attitude Reflects Leadership

common retail issues such as favoritism, tenure entitlement, lack of structure and willingness to work as a team. High turnover and lack of training results in issues that early get corrected.

Pros

learning every day from customers and employees alike

Cons

Management, organization, training, team support

Great place with some of the best Co-workers

Ace Hardware was a great job when I was in school. You learn more than hardware skills from some of the older employees. the issue is if your under 30 there is not a whole lot of growth for you.

Pros

Relaxed work place, fun workers, Low stress, not very labor intesive

Cons

low wage, not alot of growth if under 30

2.2K
1.9K
1.3K

3.0Salary / Benefits
  • Ace Hardware
  • Portland, OR
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?