Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Showing all 5,644 reviews

Sales associates are treated as a liability

management was consistently demeaning and complained about the performance of sales associates. Safety issues were treated as a nuisance. Pay raises were rare and small.

Pros

Physically active workplace

Cons

breaks were seldom scheduled and managers resented employees that took them.

Terrible place to work

Overall, company in general cares only about credit cards, not your well being. Whole management team could use a revamp, otherwise nothing will change.

Unprofessional. No work life balance.

Avoid Academy. Does not care about their workers..No work life balance Do as I say not as I do leadership. Store Director's do not know how to run all aspects of their stores... Lack day to day knowledge. Dictator attitude.

Fun place to work

Great company, you get to meet so many different people, great experience. They work with your schedule too a++. Management is great as well. Love this place

Great team experience, dumpster fire management

Most terrible managers I’ve ever worked for. Ask anyone that has ever worked there for more than 3 months (the fact I’m saying 3 months should tell you something). Coworkers were great and I’ll have some life long friends from working there. Truly grateful for that aspect of working there. However, the management is beyond lackluster. All they do is push credit to meet the store’s goals and they will not be afraid to break the rules to meet that goal. Never catered to the employees no matter what it was. It is a stay in your place and don’t speak up type of culture there and will not be getting better there any time soon.

Easy job but low pay and hours

Disrespectful managers, never got trained I had to learn everything on my own. Aside from the cons it’s a easy Job for someone that just needs a little bit of money as a young adult.

Pros

Easy tasks

Cons

Barely any hours

Easy work

Work there was easy, it was the management that made it difficult. They would micromanage everything despite the fact I knew what I was doing.

Straight forward, mundane goal assignments with hectic moment curve balls

Easy to grasp. Predominantly not overtaxing, but there was an ample supply of days like this annually. Place did not offer satisfactory compensation hourly wage wise. Poor management, and accountability. Place definitely needed to improve it's level of access to necessary tools for all to effectively get assignments done. Unfavorable work commute. Place is located in what areas like it are often referred to as, " the middle of nowhere". Most employees there averaged a 45 minute commute time one way regardless of which direction they were coming from.

Pros

Decent lunch vendor options provided

Cons

Low wage, not enough access to affective tools, poor management

Easy job but the management is terrible

I don’t like the management at this location. I have heard terrible things about the store director and I’ve only been here for a couple of weeks. I’ve also heard that if you don’t get enough credit card applications the management will not like you (Cashier’s). The people here don’t work together like a team should and you are basically thrown into the job and expected to know what to do. I don’t know if I will be staying much longer.

Fun job but can be stressful

Management’s constant push to sign people up for credit cards really ruins the job. Other than that, the job it ok and great for any high school/college age kids

Good way to build a resume

This company as a whole is great. The corporate training was great. The pay was good. They took care of us in terms of employee culture. However, the management was terrible. The manager was always late, showed up not in uniform, and cut hours when he pleased.

Horrible place

anager and GM are very disrespectful rude they act as if they are god. I had to attend to a funeral and they told me I have to show them my grandma’s obituary just to have off to go to her funeral

Pros

Free lunch sometime

Cons

Manager and GM are very disrespectful rude they act as if they are god

Receiving team

Pros: so the job is very easy when it comes down to doing what you need to such as putting up items and stocking. Most of the work is basically just putting stuff on the shells and filling up the show so we will have some type of place to go.Cons: the job has bad communication between the managers and the regular employees. Also in the receiving position there's no possible way to call out due to any illness sickness or any unseen circumstance because of how early it is and the policies around the call out process at Academy. Process basically and tells you to call ahead 2 hours ahead to let someone know you won't be able to come in do some any circumstance but with receiving it is not possible to do that because how early you have to go into work you can't call 2 hours ahead because no one will be at the store ahead of time and even if you call the store around 4:00 a.m. when someone should be in no one picks up the phone at all.

Underpaid

I wasn’t too much of a fan working at Academy I was 17 when I started working there , I was underpaid foot wear associate . Long hours especially if it was summer time or Christmas

Pay wasn’t great but after some time working it was an easy job

I worked here for almost three years it was my first job, it wasn’t the best. Management was a mess and didn’t really communicate with store team members, you would get raises but they weren’t that great. They REALLY push you to get people to apply for credit cards every few minutes or at least a couple times an hour so be prepared for that. You have to meet a goal each day per shift. You’re looking to doing all positions in the store if you have to. (Except gun counter) Hours were alright and during holidays you got A LOT. It was only fun bc the job was so easy and because of my coworkers but other than that at times it could get crazy hectic and you’d be running around like crazy. Apply if you don’t mind hectic days and repetitive work.

Worst place to work

They do not pay anything and the company is filled with sexists men. It is extremely unorganized and everyone is rude. It is like a big high school and it is disturbing.

Not enough pay don’t care about employees

They do not pay enough and they do not care enough about their employees. Making us left too heavy of stuff they don’t care if we get hurt they try to fight you on work comp. It’s horrible I have a case against them right now stay away from this place

Please save your time, don't apply here.

Do yourself a favor and do not apply to work here. The management is trash and they are always on you about credit card sales. If you don't get one during your shift they will never let you hear the end of it. I work in a pretty lavish area so of course the customers dont need a credit card, but when you try to explain to management why you haven't sold one, they act like its entirely your fault and the fate of the store lies in your hands. Also you will have to stay super late nights just to help apparel clean the store. Last night the store closed at 9 and we didn't leave until almost 1 am. They expect way too much out of their cashiers for the small amount they pay. Just please save yourself the headache and frustration and apply somewhere else.

Productive and fun work place

Good entry level job to get your foot into the work force. Not too difficult, solid management, you get decent benefits, and the hour long breaks are a plus

Run you dead and they move on

There is no such thing as work life balance in the stores. They can't staff management roles much less hourly vacancies. 6 day work weeks are more normal than 5 day work weeks.

Great people and management is newer but work well! Hours are good. Pay is comparable to others in the area. Of course someone always pays more but is it a good environment like this store is?Bottom line you get what you put into it and it is a job. You will have to work!

Pros

Discount and flexible schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits