51Talk

51Talk Salary & Benefits reviews

Philippines368 reviews

Clear
3.0Salary & Benefits

Not fair for teachers to have low salary.

Turning 2 years in 51talk, but instead of becoming more exciting, we are now experiencing problems with 51talk, specifically with Salary. It is not fair.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Stress, low salary

This company pays very low. Has a lot of penalties and deduction.

Salary is just 76 pesos per hour. Lot of deductions and penalties. Very stressful because there is no protection for teachers. The company don't value the teachers, they just value their costumers (students) and the company's name. They are very high standard but just pay very low. Not worth for the energy and time.

Cons

High standard low salary. Has big expectations to the teachers but the salary is very low.

Fun and dynamic job

Fun and dynamic job work from home. Best of choice for home base work and manage time for work. Friendly environment. They give ratings for those excellent worker for the company. They got also the incentive.

Very toxic place to work in

Usually starts at 9:30 am and ends at around 11 pm. Not worth the time spent what with so low salary they give!Management is not pro teachers.Except for my regular students, overall almost all parts of the job is sooo stressful with the company staff always breathing on your back!The only enjoyable part is when I have my regular students.

Pros

You earn even if it's below your needs.

Cons

Low salary, some rude students, company don't care, a lot of penalties.

Stress but depends on the child you're having a class with.

Low salary, it was fun until you met some rude and angry child. I mentioned fun because I have some students that listen and appreciate my work. That's all.

Productive, fun and challenging job.

It is not stressful. You can manage your own time and schedule. It can be a full-time or part-time job. I think, salary is quite good for a WFH setup. An applicant needs to have a lot of patience for unexpected students but most of the time, you'll enjoy teaching joyful students who are very friendly.

Pros

Wfh, own time management

Cons

Salary depends on your effort and the students' attendance, it is exhausting for sitting and speaking for hours, while always wearing a smile that might be sometimes fake

My experience with 51talk was good

I like the system of 51talk than the others, it easier. But for salary, I think you have to make a raise, because teachers are relly exorting a lot of effort in teaching.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Power interruption, lost of internet connection

Coaches and Mentors are very patient and they are very hands on to their team.

Working here is really great. We always get our salary on time. I easily get fully booked and easy to get promoted. It's a good company. Salary is good.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Government Intervention

Minimize penalties, they're too much.

I liked working there but management needs to improve on how to handle their teachers with more trust and consideration. I could open my slots anytime but they required me to open my schedule during the peak hours for a certain minimum of time. It was easy to get regular students as long as you try to get along with the students.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Too much penalties Low pay

The lesson materials are good as well as the classroom environment.

The company is nice in terms of trainings. It is also a good stepping stone for those who don't have an experience yet in teaching ESL. However, the salary is not that high and the penalties are so much for the teachers.

Pros

Free trainings.

Cons

Low salary, stressful, high penalties and deductions

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at 51Talk?

It's a fun workplace.

I love working at 51talk but it's just that the bookings aren't as stable as before. The penalties are still too high if you will compare it to the volume of students and starting salary now.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Low pay, high penalty

51Talk didn't pay me since last month

It's good that I found a job that is flexible but since I started last month I still didn't get my salary. It's frustrating tuat it says there it's negative! I'm discouraged to work since the last cutoff!

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

They didn't pay me

Fun workplacr

Nice place to work with. Had fun working here and teaching kids. Kids easily get attached to you when you are good and kind to them. Salary is so low

51talk isn't that bad. Just okay.

It is a good company for starting your ESL career as they provide trainings and free TESOL-TEYL certification (that you'll get after two years in the company provided that you have a good record) however starting rate is very low (76 - 80php per hour) and it will take time to build regular students so you'll get stuck with a low pay rate for quite some time. To be honest, the pay rate per hour for senior and master teachers isn't even that good (88-100php per hour). 51talk is also very inconsiderate to their teachers when it comes to absences - even if the reason for absence is sickness, they will penalize you. As for the work itself, you don't have to make lesson plans as it is already provided. Each class lasts 25 minutes and follows an easy lesson flow.

Pros

Friendly coaches/trainers, they have trainings making sure you are fully equipped for teaching, Free TESOL-TEYL courses, Most students are nice, 51talk has their own teaching platform (AC), Easy lesson flow, Flexible schedule

Cons

Very low pay, Not so reliable support, Has late and absent penalties, Inconsiderate to teachers, Students can give you bad feedbacks for no apparent reason and teachers can no longer send an appeal, Unstable teaching platform with lots of crash and bugs

Look for another ESL company eho appreciates their teachers.

Very exploited. Low salary pay. Unreasonable penaltes and management is not transparent. With thenew policy, teachers are left in the dark regarding their employment statuses. Teachers have been unfairly demoted and it's frustrating to most people. It's the management's way of saying "Resign now or await more injustices."

Pros

Work from Home setup

Cons

Low salary pay, unreasonable penalties, valid reasons are very limited so if you are absent, automatic penalties

Productive workplace

Working here is good. If you are looking for a job that is not demanding of your time, go for this! You can plot your own schedule and decide if you want to rest or hussle. Teachings kids are enjoyable and fun.

Pros

Do your own schedule

Cons

Low rates

Oka

The company is okay. Work life balance is very good. Pay is not competitive. Low salary for teachers. Work timings are okay mostly afternoon or at night.

Poor Salary

Very poor salary from the company and they should also consider the teacher's situation. They have very high penalties for the teacher. They are always on the side with the students.

Pros

Free TESOL Certificate

Cons

Low salary

Good work experience, but very low compensation with unreasonable penalties.

Teaching materials and platform are good. Company also provides good guidance and mentorship. Flexible working hours is also a plus. However salary is extremely low. They also imposes unreasonable penalties to their teachers. For instance, if you are absent for a class even if you advise earlier on of your absence, you still get penalized. If you are late in posting lesson memo for whatever reason, you get a penalty of not less than half of what you earned for that specific class (could be higher). However, if a student does not show up in class, you only get paid half for that particular class even if you already lost your full time.Penalties are what they use to impose discipline among teachers, but the amounts are really crazy and unjust.

Pros

Good training and mentorship; exposure to different kinds and levels of students

Cons

Extremely low compensation and unreasonable penalties

low booking rate

You will have a good salary if your opened slots will be booked if not then you will just waste your time facing your computer. I just hope the company will think of a new way so that those teachers who have zero to low bookings will be given additional exposure. Equal opportunity for all teachers in the platform.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

very little bookings

I don't have much say

The work was easy. The problem was there is no security in this job and the salary was barely enough to sustain self-living. The incentives are hard to achieve and the students are mostly hard to handle.

Pros

Flexible schedule. As if you're not working at all.

Cons

6 days a week and no holiday breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 51Talk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits
  • 51Talk
  • Salary & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?