51Talk

Philippines120 reviews

Clear
2.9Salary & Benefits

Pay

Compensation is very low, however, if you are a new teacher, try to experience how to become an Esl online teacher, grab the opportunity to learn, and have confidence. You have to start somewhere. Honestly, it will not compensate for your daily needs especially if you chose to be a part-time teacher. The tenure they have higher pay but for the new ones sadly very low pay.

Some penalties just don't make sense

You get a penalty if you're late which is understandable.You get a penalty if you leave early(before the lesson time ended) which is also understandableBUT GETTING a penalty because I gone past the 25-minute time lesson? That is absurd.There's a reason why I put a 30 minute gap between my booking times so that I don't have to hurry to the next class.I CARE about my students hence why I try my best to make sure they understand the lesson. That's why it takes me MORE than 25 minutes sometimes to finish a lesson. The company doesn't care about the studentsnor does it care about their employees, you know why? because they know its not their loss.THEY KNOW THAT THE MOMENT YOU QUIT, THERE WILL JUST BE SOMEONE TO REPLACE YOU.Imagine 20 teachers quitting in a day, but then again more than 50 teachers are launched on that same day."Then why are you still working there?"like I said, I care about my students. I have regular students and they are very thankful that I don't rush the lessons. I get paid like 40php per lesson. But that doesn't matter because I work in like 3 ESL companies. SO AGAIN,Late, Absent and Leave Early penalties are UNDERSTANDABLE.But getting a penalty just because you want the best for your students is a no no.

Pros

You can set your own schedule

Cons

Slow support | low booking if you're new | low salary

Relax

They didn't get pay much. Because of the double reduction salary in China. Good thing to this company it is flexible and hassle free. You can work at the comfort of your home anytime you want.

Good platform but very low salary

Easy to use ang platform. Nice lesson material but low salary. easy ma-hire. Mababait students (mostly). Maganda materials again. Malaki penalty pag nagkamali ka.

Pros

Nice lesson materials

Cons

Low salary.. big penalties

Low salary but flexible working hours

somehow the environment with other teachers is good they have lots of training and group gc but there are lots of cons in this company since the salary is always late, small salary per hour (less than 100.00 per hour and no promotion updates

Pros

flexible working hours

Cons

delayed and low salary no promotions and high salary deduction due to natural calamities

Low pay

Work from home but low pay. Bookings are not guaranteed. The pay could be better. There are better paying esl companies so try and research more but if you are only looking for part time and convenience, 51talk is good

It used to be but not sustaining anymore.

When I started last 2018, salary was just okay though a little bit low compared to other ESL companies. There were incentives. But come 2021, the double reduction policy of China greatly affected Chinese ESL companies or companies catering to Chinese students. This brought demotion of teachers, no more incentives and the recent salary deduction for non-peak hours. Starting teachers now are compensated very low though they have the bulk of students. Tenured teachers maintained their rates but students rarely see their regular teachers' schedule. This give the impression that management is controlling the visibility of teachers to their regular students. Which definitely is unfair. I used to have 28 classes a day on peak days or holidays. Regular season, I used to have 12 as minimum number of classes. But 2022, I can't even have 13 classes in a day. Students give unjust review to their teachers which also greatly affects the mental state of the teachers. The teachers can't even appeal. There are tons of topics which you can't even mention to students. I remember, even mentioning "WeChat" or "Hong Kong" had teachers service agreements cancelled.

Worst company ever! Don't be fooled in this company!

This company is very unjust to all the teachers. They only care about their students and their business. They don't listen to their teacher's mishaps, complaints, and suggestions. They don't value them anymore. There are countless times when even if it wasn't your fault they blame it on you. The double reduction policy made it very hard for teachers to continue teaching. The unfair and an airy fairy penalty that doesn't equate to your hard work and salary is quite disturbing. The only thing I could enjoy in this company is my enthusiastic students. Therefore, I don't recommend this company to you!

Not recommended

The advantage is that you can open a slot whenever you want but the salary is way too low for teachers and I would not really recommend this company. Always know your worth, Teachers. 🙂

Not fair for teachers to have low salary.

Turning 2 years in 51talk, but instead of becoming more exciting, we are now experiencing problems with 51talk, specifically with Salary. It is not fair.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Stress, low salary

Fun and dynamic job

Fun and dynamic job work from home. Best of choice for home base work and manage time for work. Friendly environment. They give ratings for those excellent worker for the company. They got also the incentive.

Stress but depends on the child you're having a class with.

Low salary, it was fun until you met some rude and angry child. I mentioned fun because I have some students that listen and appreciate my work. That's all.

Productive, fun and challenging job.

It is not stressful. You can manage your own time and schedule. It can be a full-time or part-time job. I think, salary is quite good for a WFH setup. An applicant needs to have a lot of patience for unexpected students but most of the time, you'll enjoy teaching joyful students who are very friendly.

Pros

Wfh, own time management

Cons

Salary depends on your effort and the students' attendance, it is exhausting for sitting and speaking for hours, while always wearing a smile that might be sometimes fake

The lesson materials are good as well as the classroom environment.

The company is nice in terms of trainings. It is also a good stepping stone for those who don't have an experience yet in teaching ESL. However, the salary is not that high and the penalties are so much for the teachers.

Pros

Free trainings.

Cons

Low salary, stressful, high penalties and deductions

It's a fun workplace.

I love working at 51talk but it's just that the bookings aren't as stable as before. The penalties are still too high if you will compare it to the volume of students and starting salary now.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Low pay, high penalty

Fun workplacr

Nice place to work with. Had fun working here and teaching kids. Kids easily get attached to you when you are good and kind to them. Salary is so low

Productive workplace

Working here is good. If you are looking for a job that is not demanding of your time, go for this! You can plot your own schedule and decide if you want to rest or hussle. Teachings kids are enjoyable and fun.

Pros

Do your own schedule

Cons

Low rates

I don't have much say

The work was easy. The problem was there is no security in this job and the salary was barely enough to sustain self-living. The incentives are hard to achieve and the students are mostly hard to handle.

Pros

Flexible schedule. As if you're not working at all.

Cons

6 days a week and no holiday breaks

Flexible schedule and well-managed workers.

It has a very flexible work schedule which gives you the advantage if you have more than one job. They also manage their teachers well and treats them as partners

Pros

Home based

Inconsiderate! Rate is not fair

even if you are lucky enought to have many students so youll get higher salary you still have to work overtime. THEY DONT VALUE THEIR TEACHERS.THEY MATTER TO USBECAUSE THEY CAN GENERATE MONEY THROUGH US.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

inconsiderae salary and penalty.

ESL teacher

This company is one of the best ESL teaching platform. Very reliable and reputable company worldwide. Being part of this project it really helps me to discover my strengths and allowing me to challenge myself and to discover rooms for improvement. started early January now been level up to 4 stage of ranking. From New Qualified teacher to Senior Teacher A. Salary is best since it's a homebased work.

Pros

Remarkable Incentives

Cons

Penalties