51Talk

51Talk Employee Reviews

Enjoyable experience teaching with kids

Great time with kids! If you love kids, this is the place to be. Each lesson is very engaging and fun for teacher and kid. Nowadays though limited bookings because of the policy implemented in China. Nevertheless the company is expanding its reach to other countries as well. Hopefully more students will be coming in to enroll. Adult students are also welcome to enroll therefore night slots are also in demand. For newbies and for those who are interested the company is willing to train new teachers, and tenured teachers too are given trainings as well.

Pros

You can schedule your time at your own pace.

Cons

Chinese students are rare to find these days. Limited bookings nowadays.

Fun workplacr

Nice place to work with. Had fun working here and teaching kids. Kids easily get attached to you when you are good and kind to them. Salary is so low

51talk isn't that bad. Just okay.

It is a good company for starting your ESL career as they provide trainings and free TESOL-TEYL certification (that you'll get after two years in the company provided that you have a good record) however starting rate is very low (76 - 80php per hour) and it will take time to build regular students so you'll get stuck with a low pay rate for quite some time. To be honest, the pay rate per hour for senior and master teachers isn't even that good (88-100php per hour). 51talk is also very inconsiderate to their teachers when it comes to absences - even if the reason for absence is sickness, they will penalize you. As for the work itself, you don't have to make lesson plans as it is already provided. Each class lasts 25 minutes and follows an easy lesson flow.

Pros

Friendly coaches/trainers, they have trainings making sure you are fully equipped for teaching, Free TESOL-TEYL courses, Most students are nice, 51talk has their own teaching platform (AC), Easy lesson flow, Flexible schedule

Cons

Very low pay, Not so reliable support, Has late and absent penalties, Inconsiderate to teachers, Students can give you bad feedbacks for no apparent reason and teachers can no longer send an appeal, Unstable teaching platform with lots of crash and bugs

I will not recommended this company.

If you are planning to work in this company. Please don't continue your plan because you'll regret once you signed the Service Agreement. I don't recommend this company. Just please look for another company to apply and NOT IN 51TALK. This company has no heart to their employees especially to their teachers. Lots of penalties.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Independent Service. Starting Teacher- 38 pesos. No more incentives for the peak hours.

Full of fun and exciting experiences

Teaching in 51talk is very fun. I really love my students here at 51talk. They are respectful and very smart. The support team is so good as well as our captain.

Look for another ESL company eho appreciates their teachers.

Very exploited. Low salary pay. Unreasonable penaltes and management is not transparent. With thenew policy, teachers are left in the dark regarding their employment statuses. Teachers have been unfairly demoted and it's frustrating to most people. It's the management's way of saying "Resign now or await more injustices."

Pros

Work from Home setup

Cons

Low salary pay, unreasonable penalties, valid reasons are very limited so if you are absent, automatic penalties

The workplace is fun and all of their employees are easy to work with

The company is really good, i have a good time staying with them. They provided me a lot of opportunities to grow professionally. During my stay i feel supported by my collegues and superior. Over all it was a great experience working with this company.

Productive workplace

Working here is good. If you are looking for a job that is not demanding of your time, go for this! You can plot your own schedule and decide if you want to rest or hussle. Teachings kids are enjoyable and fun.

Pros

Do your own schedule

Cons

Low rates

Oka

The company is okay. Work life balance is very good. Pay is not competitive. Low salary for teachers. Work timings are okay mostly afternoon or at night.

Pay is very low 78 pesos per hour.

The good thing for me about this company is that you can work alone, no boss no TL. Just follow the rules and you are good. They have a centralized working platform. Unlike other companies where you need to log in to several apps just to confirm your attendance and use 3-7 applications to teach.

Pros

No need to open too much app to teach.

Cons

beginner's pay 78 pesos per hour, with experience pay 100 pesos per hour

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at 51Talk?

Poor Salary

Very poor salary from the company and they should also consider the teacher's situation. They have very high penalties for the teacher. They are always on the side with the students.

Pros

Free TESOL Certificate

Cons

Low salary

Could get better in many ways

51 Talk is not at all ideal for job hunters who are looking for promotions and managers that can give effective and efficient feedback that will be supportive to your daily teachings. Sariling kayod ika nga. I wish they have Team Leaders that can reach out when needed. You will only meet a coach whenever you commit an infraction. The PHBee was also not at all helpful. I sent them requests to add me to a group and no one answered my questions. Difficult to sign up for trainings to help with promotions as they are always fully booked. Penalties are too much for the students as they can cancel even minutes before an actual class. You have to wait for late students until the 15th minute (for a 25 minutes class) and be paid half. Mind you, you were booked days even weeks ahead and some students can just not appear and you get paid half of the 100 per hour rate.

Pros

Easy to follow lesson plans

Cons

Job promotions, hourly rate, management, teacher support, penalties

It was good

Working at 51Talk gave me different opportunities that helped me grow as an individual. Learning how to balance work and school was okay because they were accommodating.

Pros

Talking to children

Cons

Sometimes it's stressful

Good work experience, but very low compensation with unreasonable penalties.

Teaching materials and platform are good. Company also provides good guidance and mentorship. Flexible working hours is also a plus. However salary is extremely low. They also imposes unreasonable penalties to their teachers. For instance, if you are absent for a class even if you advise earlier on of your absence, you still get penalized. If you are late in posting lesson memo for whatever reason, you get a penalty of not less than half of what you earned for that specific class (could be higher). However, if a student does not show up in class, you only get paid half for that particular class even if you already lost your full time.Penalties are what they use to impose discipline among teachers, but the amounts are really crazy and unjust.

Pros

Good training and mentorship; exposure to different kinds and levels of students

Cons

Extremely low compensation and unreasonable penalties

Easy job for a remote work

It's an easy job and it's fun as well but the support portal works like a robot so it's usually your job out figure things out. It has the potential to pay a lot but that's if you are up to working for a full day.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Not teacher pro in service

Productive with a silent environment.

Teaching English to Chinese people. Helping them to learn how to communicate and teach them the basic English. The most enjoyable part of this company is the incentive that we get in each student who will give a flower and a feedback to the gteacher.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

It depends

low booking rate

You will have a good salary if your opened slots will be booked if not then you will just waste your time facing your computer. I just hope the company will think of a new way so that those teachers who have zero to low bookings will be given additional exposure. Equal opportunity for all teachers in the platform.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

very little bookings

Work From Home

I love this job because I am able to work from home. At this time, with the pandemic, working from home is the most sought after jobs. The work environment is okay but sometimes a bit unfair to the employees because they trust the clients opinions more.

Pros

work from home

Cons

students are not regular

I don't have much say

The work was easy. The problem was there is no security in this job and the salary was barely enough to sustain self-living. The incentives are hard to achieve and the students are mostly hard to handle.

Pros

Flexible schedule. As if you're not working at all.

Cons

6 days a week and no holiday breaks

Flexible schedule and well-managed workers.

It has a very flexible work schedule which gives you the advantage if you have more than one job. They also manage their teachers well and treats them as partners

Pros

Home based

Productive and fun

It was a great experience and had fun teaching with kids and not just you also practice your English and become productive even you're at home and you're able to meet friends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 51Talk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Salary / Benefits