51Talk

51Talk Employee Reviews

Philippines402 reviews

a fun workplace

the work environment is nice, they have lots of activities for their employees. however, the base pay is low, unless you work hard to have bigger incentives. needs to work on weekends as well.

Pros

approachable admins and team leaders

Cons

low salary

No incentives since they change managment

I was with 51talk for 5 years. 2017 was really good because of good incentives and a lot of students but now no incentives, low booking and their starting salary is lower than before.

Productive and patience at work, knowledgeable in English and fun workplace.

I am happy to teach especially children and I enjoy teaching them. I learned better how to pronounce the correct English words and what their meanings are. Then I increased my knowledge of English because of this company. But because the salary is too low, I have to find a full time job.

Pros

Good students

Cons

No incentives Low salary

It is a great company to get experience as an esl teacher

Training is great, you will learn a lot especially if you don’t have any experience as an esl yet. It is also flexible so you can work anytime you want.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Low rate

unstable income/no security

I used to enjoy working here before pandemic because of the rate they are giving me but during the pandemic, almost all the teachers here were downgraded without any notification coming from the management.

Pros

Homebased, you can choose your schedule

Cons

low rate fee

Low salary and bias management

students don't have a mannerand they don't care for their teachers they care about money, bad facilitation, bad management, lots of penalties, and bad behavior of admins.

Pros

Manage your own time

Cons

Penalties and Useless admins

Good booking, High income, Support system is good

I can earn a lot and invest in properties like houses and condos by just working in this company. I love the students and parents here.The support team is very responsive.

Pros

Many students but it depends on how good you are in teaching, Flexible time. Good support system.

Cons

high penalty, they will not consider any reason even you are very sick, Still you will be penalized once you incurred absences.

Fun workplace

good but with low bookings due to the double reduction policy that is being imposed cureently in China. Teachers are affected by it, though. Salary depending on how much classes you take in a cut-off

You teach and learn. It was great.

I really missed teaching online. Being an online teacher is not easy, you need to consider the distance, your students behavior and more patients. The lesson is provided but you still need to study. I teach and learn a lot.

good company to start gaining experience with the esl industry

it's a good company, however management needs improvement and including salary. Some kids are rude but there are others who are also there to learn and very serious with their studies so good job to them

Pros

you control your slots and which days you want to work but peak slots on weekdays are mandatory

Cons

low salary and management

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at 51Talk?

Pay

Compensation is very low, however, if you are a new teacher, try to experience how to become an Esl online teacher, grab the opportunity to learn, and have confidence. You have to start somewhere. Honestly, it will not compensate for your daily needs especially if you chose to be a part-time teacher. The tenure they have higher pay but for the new ones sadly very low pay.

Some penalties just don't make sense

You get a penalty if you're late which is understandable.You get a penalty if you leave early(before the lesson time ended) which is also understandableBUT GETTING a penalty because I gone past the 25-minute time lesson? That is absurd.There's a reason why I put a 30 minute gap between my booking times so that I don't have to hurry to the next class.I CARE about my students hence why I try my best to make sure they understand the lesson. That's why it takes me MORE than 25 minutes sometimes to finish a lesson. The company doesn't care about the studentsnor does it care about their employees, you know why? because they know its not their loss.THEY KNOW THAT THE MOMENT YOU QUIT, THERE WILL JUST BE SOMEONE TO REPLACE YOU.Imagine 20 teachers quitting in a day, but then again more than 50 teachers are launched on that same day."Then why are you still working there?"like I said, I care about my students. I have regular students and they are very thankful that I don't rush the lessons. I get paid like 40php per lesson. But that doesn't matter because I work in like 3 ESL companies. SO AGAIN,Late, Absent and Leave Early penalties are UNDERSTANDABLE.But getting a penalty just because you want the best for your students is a no no.

Pros

You can set your own schedule

Cons

Slow support | low booking if you're new | low salary

They did not give importance of their employees. Employees are under paid. The management needs improvement. They need to review how the high ranked officials are handling their jobs.

Pros

Wfh

Cons

Does not give importance of their employees, they love money more.

productive and fun. You also learn new things everyday.

I am afraid that I will not hired at first but I was wrong. It was fun and exciting. You can also learn new things from your students everyday. I got so excited everyday.

Unsatisfied

They should have set a time limit on when the students are allowed to book. I am disappointed because of the 400% deduction when I could not self-tag. It feels like I am working to pay for my penalties. I QUIT!

For newbie experience

Good for entry level experience. Salary is not competitive. BPO type of work with targets to meet. Shifting schedules and day offs. HR has a very long turnaround time.

Relax

They didn't get pay much. Because of the double reduction salary in China. Good thing to this company it is flexible and hassle free. You can work at the comfort of your home anytime you want.

Good platform but very low salary

Easy to use ang platform. Nice lesson material but low salary. easy ma-hire. Mababait students (mostly). Maganda materials again. Malaki penalty pag nagkamali ka.

Pros

Nice lesson materials

Cons

Low salary.. big penalties

Ok

The experience was nice since you get to meet a lot of wonderful students and you get to learn about their culture, lifestyle, etc. Schedule is also flexible.

Pros

Flexible sched.

Cons

No benefits

Stressful and demeaning workplace

The teachers are not fairly compensated. Not a lot of students will book a lesson with you, especially if you are just starting out. The management can take a long time to respond to your issues. My tip, look for a better ESL company.

Decent and relaxing.

It is very relaxing and fun to work here, the only thing that is hard is the amount of booking you will get. It is fairly easy to teach the students English, you just need to know the basics.

Pros

Control of your own time.

Cons

Low bookings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 51Talk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits
  • 51Talk
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?