51Talk

51Talk Employee Reviews

it's ok

Well at first it was fun because work from home but there are times na they won't accept your leave or being an absent in a class even though you have a valid reason, in my case i had a really bad dysmenorrhea. They just shrugged it off and didn't pay me.

Pros

Work from Home

Cons

Poor Management

Good Place to Work

The interview was easy. You can choose your own schedule. It takes time to build up a good rapport with students. But it is fun and you learn something new every day.

Low salary but flexible working hours

somehow the environment with other teachers is good they have lots of training and group gc but there are lots of cons in this company since the salary is always late, small salary per hour (less than 100.00 per hour and no promotion updates

Pros

flexible working hours

Cons

delayed and low salary no promotions and high salary deduction due to natural calamities

It's fun working with kids but some kids have awful attitude. Salary is low. Penalty is high.

Coaches, Captains, and Lesson Support are very approachable. It's fun working with kids but some kids have an awful attitude. The salary is low. The penalty is high. Some students will hoard your schedule and the company will not do anything about it.

Felt like a slave

I worked for 12 hours a day, but still couldn't make enough to live on. The students were lovely, although I felt like I had to entertain them. Management didn't care about my circumstances and were unsympathetic towards my reasons.

Pros

Set your own work schedule

Low pay

Work from home but low pay. Bookings are not guaranteed. The pay could be better. There are better paying esl companies so try and research more but if you are only looking for part time and convenience, 51talk is good

Not a good place to work for

They stop giving me students without telling me why. Then after a few weeks, my password would work to get into my scheduling page. I did learn a lot about working with children online and also working with children from China

Pros

Children and parents were great

Cons

continueously changed the rate of pay and incentives

51Talk gives a lot of opportunities.

You can manage your schedule independently. They provide good salary. I really want to go back working with them. The students are nice and well discipline. It's fun to work with 51talk.

Pros

Very convenient

Cons

Very strict

Productive and adjustable schedule at your control

Excellent pay for those who will learn to love the job. Your pay is detemined by how hard you work and how long you work on a daily basis. I dont have issues with the pay and its schedule.

Not good ESL company

Demotions, delayed salary and they don't care about their teachers, no promotion, very low salary and lot of Penlaties, bad management, no absences or you cannot cancel class unless calamity, emergency etc. No sick leave as well.

Horrible work environment and terrible pay.

I worked for 51talk for close to three years and every year I was there it got worse. The students for the most part where OK. But they were not leveled correctly which would usually make them upset. The work culture in place for the students is one in which the students or the parents feel it is normal to disrespect the teachers. I remember countless times were I would bite my tongue when I was insulted or disrespected by students, and these students would keep booking me inspite of my constant complaints about their attitude with support. They have no support system in place for their teachers and their "customer support" usually is way more ready to place the blame on the teacher than to help. I would not go back to this company for all the money in the world and I would say keep looking to anyone considering them.

Pros

I met some nice teachers and learned about the Chinese culture.

Cons

Low Pay, Dropping rates, Low bookings, No support. This is were you take your soul to die.

productive and fun workplace

provides lots of trainings to improve your teaching skills. nice and friendly students. They are always on time to give your pay. It is fun teaching here.

Pros

friendly and nice students

Cons

low rates

It is fun working at 51 talk

If you really wanted to work at home, it is advisable to work here and gain some experiences. It will help you build your confidence in communicating with other people.

Pros

You are managing your own time to work

Cons

Unstable income

Disrespectful of teachers, lots of fines and need endless screenshots to prove unjustified

Stay away if you can get another remote job. They will fine you to death. They will give you a lot of autonomy. Lots of drama with the tech and you will be fined for it.

Wfh set up

Enjoyable, dynamic, work-from-home setup, you can balance work and family time since you can choose which time is best for you to work. Easy lessons and lovely students.

It used to be but not sustaining anymore.

When I started last 2018, salary was just okay though a little bit low compared to other ESL companies. There were incentives. But come 2021, the double reduction policy of China greatly affected Chinese ESL companies or companies catering to Chinese students. This brought demotion of teachers, no more incentives and the recent salary deduction for non-peak hours. Starting teachers now are compensated very low though they have the bulk of students. Tenured teachers maintained their rates but students rarely see their regular teachers' schedule. This give the impression that management is controlling the visibility of teachers to their regular students. Which definitely is unfair. I used to have 28 classes a day on peak days or holidays. Regular season, I used to have 12 as minimum number of classes. But 2022, I can't even have 13 classes in a day. Students give unjust review to their teachers which also greatly affects the mental state of the teachers. The teachers can't even appeal. There are tons of topics which you can't even mention to students. I remember, even mentioning "WeChat" or "Hong Kong" had teachers service agreements cancelled.

Challenging and productive workplace

* They allowed part-time and full-time jobs but greatly prioritise full-time with dedication to work.* met people from different countries* should be responsible of the time given.* What I like about this job is that you can meet different personalities from young to adult learners.* The most challenging part of the job is how you handle the learners and bring them to a very interactive lesson.

Cons

Long Hours

Worst company ever! Don't be fooled in this company!

This company is very unjust to all the teachers. They only care about their students and their business. They don't listen to their teacher's mishaps, complaints, and suggestions. They don't value them anymore. There are countless times when even if it wasn't your fault they blame it on you. The double reduction policy made it very hard for teachers to continue teaching. The unfair and an airy fairy penalty that doesn't equate to your hard work and salary is quite disturbing. The only thing I could enjoy in this company is my enthusiastic students. Therefore, I don't recommend this company to you!

Not a very good company if you are looking to further your career but it's fine if you're looking for experience.

My previews job at 51talk was alright at best. I could not better my career but I gained a lot of knowledge and experience while I worked there. My job was also affected by different Chinese policies so I decided to leave in search of better opportunities.

Not recommended

The advantage is that you can open a slot whenever you want but the salary is way too low for teachers and I would not really recommend this company. Always know your worth, Teachers. 🙂

Not fair for teachers to have low salary.

Turning 2 years in 51talk, but instead of becoming more exciting, we are now experiencing problems with 51talk, specifically with Salary. It is not fair.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Stress, low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 51Talk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits