51Talk logo
51Talk

51Talk Employee Reviews

Poor Salary

Very poor salary from the company and they should also consider the teacher's situation. They have very high penalties for the teacher. They are always on the side with the students.

Pros

Free TESOL Certificate

Cons

Low salary

Fun and constantly evolving

Typically the students would be assigned to you based on your rating, and or if the student's preferred you, eventually you would rotate the same group of students each month. They offered interactive slides with some, cute prizes and sound effects for students to see there progress during the class. It was up to the teacher to explore outside of the screen, using props and hand gestures to keep the student's attention. What I liked most was that 51talk had students of all levels, including, professionals who were looking to better their English speaking skills. The pay was fair and always on time.

Pros

Pay, students, work life

Cons

Very strict guidelines and rules to follow
Salary / Benefits

Could get better in many ways

51 Talk is not at all ideal for job hunters who are looking for promotions and managers that can give effective and efficient feedback that will be supportive to your daily teachings. Sariling kayod ika nga. I wish they have Team Leaders that can reach out when needed. You will only meet a coach whenever you commit an infraction. The PHBee was also not at all helpful. I sent them requests to add me to a group and no one answered my questions. Difficult to sign up for trainings to help with promotions as they are always fully booked. Penalties are too much for the students as they can cancel even minutes before an actual class. You have to wait for late students until the 15th minute (for a 25 minutes class) and be paid half. Mind you, you were booked days even weeks ahead and some students can just not appear and you get paid half of the 100 per hour rate.

Pros

Easy to follow lesson plans

Cons

Job promotions, hourly rate, management, teacher support, penalties

It was good

Working at 51Talk gave me different opportunities that helped me grow as an individual. Learning how to balance work and school was okay because they were accommodating.

Pros

Talking to children

Cons

Sometimes it's stressful
Salary / Benefits

Good work experience, but very low compensation with unreasonable penalties.

Teaching materials and platform are good. Company also provides good guidance and mentorship. Flexible working hours is also a plus. However salary is extremely low. They also imposes unreasonable penalties to their teachers. For instance, if you are absent for a class even if you advise earlier on of your absence, you still get penalized. If you are late in posting lesson memo for whatever reason, you get a penalty of not less than half of what you earned for that specific class (could be higher). However, if a student does not show up in class, you only get paid half for that particular class even if you already lost your full time.Penalties are what they use to impose discipline among teachers, but the amounts are really crazy and unjust.

Pros

Good training and mentorship; exposure to different kinds and levels of students

Cons

Extremely low compensation and unreasonable penalties

Salary / Benefits

Easy job for a remote work

It's an easy job and it's fun as well but the support portal works like a robot so it's usually your job out figure things out. It has the potential to pay a lot but that's if you are up to working for a full day.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Not teacher pro in service

Be wary of management

This place was fun at first. The hours were magnificent and the student were amazing. However, the higher ups are ruthless and laid the senior teachers off due to budget cuts without notice.
Salary / Benefits

Productive with a silent environment.

Teaching English to Chinese people. Helping them to learn how to communicate and teach them the basic English. The most enjoyable part of this company is the incentive that we get in each student who will give a flower and a feedback to the gteacher.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

It depends
Salary / Benefits

Great kids, low flexibility and poor management.

The kids are very well behaved and eager to learn, unlike some other platforms. The hours are not flexible, but this is fairly standard in the Chinese ESL market. The management are extremely unresponsive in many cases. Their website is a nightmare to use and doesn't have a usable mobile version for schedule management. Overall I'd recommend working for them, as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. The pay is average or a bit above average. I started at 18/hr + a monthly bonus of $150. They have opportunities to raise that to 19 but they're not achievable for most people.

Pros

High quality lesson plans, motivated & well behaved kids

Cons

Unresponsive management, no feedback, inflexible schedule

low booking rate

You will have a good salary if your opened slots will be booked if not then you will just waste your time facing your computer. I just hope the company will think of a new way so that those teachers who have zero to low bookings will be given additional exposure. Equal opportunity for all teachers in the platform.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

very little bookings
Salary / Benefits

Flexible schedule, a good stepping stone for beginners.

Flexible schedule, you are virtually at the helm of your schedule steering wheel. Good for non experienced teachers or wannabees, trainings are kinda useful too.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

abusive Company, taking advantage of Filipinos with the salary that they offer. It is like, "better than nothing' for the moment, but you will eventually leave once the pandemic is OVER, or another job oppurtunity arises
Salary / Benefits

Not enough hours to live properly.

There were not enough hours to properly live. Meaning paying bills. The students were adorable but working 3 days a week for two hours a day was not cutting it. They told me I would ha e way more hours but never did.

Work From Home

I love this job because I am able to work from home. At this time, with the pandemic, working from home is the most sought after jobs. The work environment is okay but sometimes a bit unfair to the employees because they trust the clients opinions more.

Pros

work from home

Cons

students are not regular

Typical

Just a typical company of this sort. Nothing you say or do ever matters, they make and break contracts and promises as they please. Then they make up bogus excuses and they are always right. They are not transparent and do not support you in the slightest. The class support is ridiculous, they surely don't support the teachers as they never know anything and don't have access to anything.You open slots and they get booked by students. Lessons are provided and you don't have to worry about that.

Pros

Pay is not bad, you can open and close slots as you please as long as they are not booked.

Cons

Almost everything.
Salary / Benefits

Not an ideal lifelong career choice

I've just been working here for almost 2 weeks and I have to say I am not happy with this company. I was supposed to be just a part time teacher here but the number of slots you have to open within 15 days is just the same to those who wants to do full time. I still get low bookings and the lesson material of the students is too much to finish in just 25mins. The penalties are unjust compared to the earnings you get per class. The only good thing about this company is it has a flexible schedule(which is why I wanted to do part time here), they have a lot of trainings and free TESOL(which you can only get the certificate if you have worked here for 2years). But all in all, this job is not a good lifelong career choice since it doesn't care much about the teachers with it unfair penalties and rules.

Pros

flexible schedule, free trainings, TESOL training

Cons

low bookings, unjust penalties, no teacher protection, low pay
Salary / Benefits

Not a good lifelong career choice

I invested in this job and so far its not that worth it. I'm just planning to work here part time since I have a full time job but the minimum slots you have to open is just the same with those who are full time. They should lower the minimum slots for part time workers. And the penalties are not fair since it is higher than the per class earnings. No benefits at all and they don't value their teachers. It has a flexible schedule since you get to pick when you want to have classes. And they don't exactly listen to the teachers side. They are purely costumer service and no employee protection.

Pros

Flexible schedule, trainings, free TESOL

Cons

No benefits, unfair penalty fees, no teacher protection, part time and full time slots goals are the same

I don't have much say

The work was easy. The problem was there is no security in this job and the salary was barely enough to sustain self-living. The incentives are hard to achieve and the students are mostly hard to handle.

Pros

Flexible schedule. As if you're not working at all.

Cons

6 days a week and no holiday breaks
Salary / Benefits

Flexible schedule and well-managed workers.

It has a very flexible work schedule which gives you the advantage if you have more than one job. They also manage their teachers well and treats them as partners

Pros

Home based

Home based

It's good as a second job but it shouldn't be your main job. The pay is low and the penalties are pretty high. Tech assist is also remote so you're pretty much on your own in figuring things out.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Low pay
Salary / Benefits

Very bad Company to work for!!

They give you a job offer to teach online and then give you no lessons?When you ask for assistance and help, no one cares to help or assist.They leave you in the deep end and do nothing about it.This is not a job?! How am I suppose to make an income?

Pros

Can open and close slots as you please but no other pro's

Cons

Bad work ethic, doesn't care for employees and doesn't schedule you as a teacher.

Productive and fun

It was a great experience and had fun teaching with kids and not just you also practice your English and become productive even you're at home and you're able to meet friends
  • 51Talk