51Talk

51Talk Employee Reviews

Philippines368 reviews

Not fair for teachers to have low salary.

Turning 2 years in 51talk, but instead of becoming more exciting, we are now experiencing problems with 51talk, specifically with Salary. It is not fair.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Stress, low salary

This company pays very low. Has a lot of penalties and deduction.

Salary is just 76 pesos per hour. Lot of deductions and penalties. Very stressful because there is no protection for teachers. The company don't value the teachers, they just value their costumers (students) and the company's name. They are very high standard but just pay very low. Not worth for the energy and time.

Cons

High standard low salary. Has big expectations to the teachers but the salary is very low.

Worked with great people

The team I worked with had amazing people. The company has a very organized onboarding process, which I really appreciated. They make you feel well-equipped to join their company.

Pros

Great people

Fun and dynamic job

Fun and dynamic job work from home. Best of choice for home base work and manage time for work. Friendly environment. They give ratings for those excellent worker for the company. They got also the incentive.

Very toxic place to work in

Usually starts at 9:30 am and ends at around 11 pm. Not worth the time spent what with so low salary they give!Management is not pro teachers.Except for my regular students, overall almost all parts of the job is sooo stressful with the company staff always breathing on your back!The only enjoyable part is when I have my regular students.

Pros

You earn even if it's below your needs.

Cons

Low salary, some rude students, company don't care, a lot of penalties.

I believe the salary is extremely low as a result of the Double Reduction Policy.

As an ESL teacher, it was difficult because you needed to engage your students in your classes, and sometimes they were very rude during your class, which required a lot of patience.

Stress but depends on the child you're having a class with.

Low salary, it was fun until you met some rude and angry child. I mentioned fun because I have some students that listen and appreciate my work. That's all.

Productive, fun and challenging job.

It is not stressful. You can manage your own time and schedule. It can be a full-time or part-time job. I think, salary is quite good for a WFH setup. An applicant needs to have a lot of patience for unexpected students but most of the time, you'll enjoy teaching joyful students who are very friendly.

Pros

Wfh, own time management

Cons

Salary depends on your effort and the students' attendance, it is exhausting for sitting and speaking for hours, while always wearing a smile that might be sometimes fake

My experience with 51talk was good

I like the system of 51talk than the others, it easier. But for salary, I think you have to make a raise, because teachers are relly exorting a lot of effort in teaching.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Power interruption, lost of internet connection

A very fun job teaching with different ages of students.

It is a very friendly platform to work with at home. All you need is a good internet connection, good lit of lightning and a friendly characteristics to build a good connection towards your students.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at 51Talk?

Fun but sometimes stressful

It's nice to meet new students everyday. 51Talk gave me the chance to enjoy working at home for almost a year. I can say that my experience here is not perfect but it's okay. ;)

Well established Company

Their support portal is not helpful to the teacher's needs, especially those technical teams. They're too slow to respond. And many technical requirements to be checked

Pros

Incentive if you don't have penalty

Cons

Technical team too slow to respond and too many requirements on tech check

Flexible time and productive trainings

I've been teaching for 3 years and 3 months to be exact and I must say that it was an amazing job, I have so far because of its advantages flexible time and productive platform and it also add to your growth and development especially on my craft as teacher. It enables me too learn and develop everyday.

Coaches and Mentors are very patient and they are very hands on to their team.

Working here is really great. We always get our salary on time. I easily get fully booked and easy to get promoted. It's a good company. Salary is good.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Government Intervention

Minimize penalties, they're too much.

I liked working there but management needs to improve on how to handle their teachers with more trust and consideration. I could open my slots anytime but they required me to open my schedule during the peak hours for a certain minimum of time. It was easy to get regular students as long as you try to get along with the students.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Too much penalties Low pay

The lesson materials are good as well as the classroom environment.

The company is nice in terms of trainings. It is also a good stepping stone for those who don't have an experience yet in teaching ESL. However, the salary is not that high and the penalties are so much for the teachers.

Pros

Free trainings.

Cons

Low salary, stressful, high penalties and deductions

It's a fun workplace.

I love working at 51talk but it's just that the bookings aren't as stable as before. The penalties are still too high if you will compare it to the volume of students and starting salary now.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Low pay, high penalty

51Talk didn't pay me since last month

It's good that I found a job that is flexible but since I started last month I still didn't get my salary. It's frustrating tuat it says there it's negative! I'm discouraged to work since the last cutoff!

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

They didn't pay me

It was a great company, but the penalties are too high. They're three times what you'd normally get paid. Trainings are provided and are good newbies

Pros

Trainings are provided, good for newbies

Cons

Penalties are too high

Enjoyable experience teaching with kids

Great time with kids! If you love kids, this is the place to be. Each lesson is very engaging and fun for teacher and kid. Nowadays though limited bookings because of the policy implemented in China. Nevertheless the company is expanding its reach to other countries as well. Hopefully more students will be coming in to enroll. Adult students are also welcome to enroll therefore night slots are also in demand. For newbies and for those who are interested the company is willing to train new teachers, and tenured teachers too are given trainings as well.

Pros

You can schedule your time at your own pace.

Cons

Chinese students are rare to find these days. Limited bookings nowadays.

Fun workplacr

Nice place to work with. Had fun working here and teaching kids. Kids easily get attached to you when you are good and kind to them. Salary is so low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 51Talk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Salary / Benefits